Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

HELP NEEDED! SONY VAIO SZ LED Backlight died

This is a discussion on HELP NEEDED! SONY VAIO SZ LED Backlight died within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, I have SZ480 with LED display (part number LTD133EXBY). And my backlight stopped working all of the sudden.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

Hi everyone,

I have SZ480 with LED display (part number LTD133EXBY). And my backlight stopped working all of the sudden. I've ordered a replacement LED LCD from Sony ($400+shipping) since there is no separate inverter to order and was so pissed off when it didn't have backlight as well, I've tested a cable that runs from motherboard to display too and discovered my old screen lits well on the other laptop.

My concern is if there is a switch that turns off backlight when you close the lid that might be broken or any other connector that might be loose that I need to check. What else can I possibly do before sending laptop to sony for repairs.

Need to mention I've upgraded the cooler to the model from SZ7xx two months ago, but since then everything worked just fine and I also have display hinges loose (where they hook up to the display).

Thank you very much for input!

Old 03-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

Have you tried swapping the inverter?

Old 03-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

There is no inverters on LED screens. And old screen with cable works perfectly on the other laptop.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

Ooops my bad... I should have read the whole thing carefully. My apologies.

If you have tested the cable and the screen on another laptop and they showed now problems, then for sure the issue could be in your video chip or the motherboard.

About the switch, yes AFAIK. Before they used micro switch that gets pressed when the lid is closed... try getting hold of a service manual for the location and removal instructions.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am having the same issue with a Dell Inspirion 1545, swapped out a new screen however the LED backlight ain't working! Did you manage to fix, if so how?