Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Help! My computer won't recognize any external drives, USB or even the CD/DVD drive

This is a discussion on Help! My computer won't recognize any external drives, USB or even the CD/DVD drive within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I really need help! I have recently purchased an ASUS M51 Notebook. It has a Windows Vista Business operating

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I really need help!
I have recently purchased an ASUS M51 Notebook. It has a Windows Vista Business operating system. Everything was working fine.
Now, maybe from downloading movies from the Internet(virus or hacker maybe), my computer will not recognize anything that I plug in to the USB ports (all 4 of them). The computer WILL show that there is something plugged in (in the bottom right), but that's it.
If I go in My Computer, there's nothing there.
There are no F: or E: drives anywhere in my computer. I even ran it through the search option. I also went through the system to reinstall them and it still doesn't work. I even tried installing it from the Internet, nothing. (All this while having my flashcard in)
That is when I realized my D: drive is also missing!!
If I put a CD inside, I will hear it running, but the computer doesn't recognize it. I also can't find it anywhere on my computer. So I can't install anything from my Recovery disk.
My SanDisk memory card reader also doesn't read anything.
I tried plugging my camera, my external hard drive, my SanDisk memory card, my flash drive... nothing. CDs and DVDs, nothing.
I even ran 2 types of virus scans (one from the Internet and my own) and nothing came up.
Everything else seems to be working (Internet included)

Anyway, I don't know what to do since just moved to Korea for a year and the language barrier is an issue.

Suggestions anyone?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

the drivers are part of windows

try removing the filters
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

usb reset

in the device manager click on view at the top and in the dropdown
show hidden devices
then uninstall all listed usb items
turn the computer off