Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Help! Laptop often won't start, can't find hard disk? (Error 3F0)

This is a discussion on Help! Laptop often won't start, can't find hard disk? (Error 3F0) within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I'm really hoping a genius on here will be able to help me with this problem I've had

Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there,

I'm really hoping a genius on here will be able to help me with this problem I've had with my laptop for months now.

Often, when I turn on my laptop (normally after moving it around/disturbing it from its normal position), the laptop won't start and it will just display the following screen:
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

For the past few months, I have found that after getting the error message, if power the laptop off and gently tap the bottom of it (ie. the area where the hard drive is), this solves the issue - ie. the computer will start normally as if there is nothing wrong. However, in recent weeks, the problem has got worse and now the laptop often will refuse to turn on at all.

A friend of mine who studies computer science has tried to have a look at it but can't see anything wrong with the hard drive superficially - he took it out of its slot and put it back in but there's been no change.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how I can fix it at all?

Anyone help would be massively appreciated. I'm starting my final year at uni in September and I can't afford to continue having this problem next year!

Some technical details:
Operating system: Windows 7
Computer model: Compaq Presario CQ61

Thanks in advance! :)

Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF try running the system diagnostic tool from F2

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi and welcome to TSF try running the system diagnostic tool from F2
Cheers!

I have tried that several times and it doesn't help at all. When I press F2, it gives a few options including "hard disk check". When I do the hard disk check it comes up with a message saying, "Hard Disk Not Exist" (sic). So frustrating, because there's obviously a hard disk there, the computer just can't detect it!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi that sounds like your hard drive is failing or failed or there could be a motherboard issue as described here Hard Disk (3F0) - HP Support Forum - 1354307
there are some other suggestion there too

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote