Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

have to press on/off button many times before computer starts

This is a discussion on have to press on/off button many times before computer starts within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Inspiron 1526, Vista. For the past 2 months or so, when I try to turn on

Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Dell Inspiron 1526, Vista. For the past 2 months or so, when I try to turn on my laptop, I press the on/off button to turn it on and nothing happens. Only the plug light is on. Then I press again to turn off. I soetimes have to do this many times before it starts. Every once in a while it turns on the first time, but not much.

Is this a problem that can be fixed? I don't have any other problems that come to mind.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Cam

Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

is it the same from the battery

Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes.

Today it took about 15 tries, thats more than it ever took.
Cam
Old 07-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

run dell diagnostics
Old 07-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Hey Cam

The times that it doesn't work (e.g., the first 14 of your 15 times today) is there _any_ noticeable reaction of the laptop from the button pushes?

If you reboot your computer using 'restart', does it ever not start back up?

If you reboot your computer using 'shutdown', wait 15 seconds, and turn it back on, is it more or less likely to respond to the first button push than if you wait, say, 15 minutes or an hour?

How old is the laptop, how much do you eat/drink/pet your cat while using it, and how hard do you tend to push buttons?

If you're having absolutely zero other problems, I'd start by looking at the physical button itself, myself.

jw
Old 07-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi if you need to replace the power button this may help Dell Inspiron 1525/1526 Power Button Cover Removal and Installation | Dell Laptop Repair Manual & Help Guides

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Registered Member

I appreciate the replies and I’ve been unable to get to my computer for two days and I’m answering all the replies this way.

Dia
Yes, it is the same from the battery. BTW, the battery charges fine.
I will run Dell Diagnosis and post when finished.

Jaythorpe552
Yes there is a reaction on bottom right side, beside the touch pad.

Using Reboot: It always starts back up after a “restart”
Using “shutdown” and starting up again: I have noticed that it is more likely if I start the computer sooner after I shut it down – sometimes on the first try sometimes a few more tries.

I purchased the laptop 2/2005
I don’t eat or drink over the laptop.
No cat.
I do not press keys hard at all.
I can’t say I’ve always had absolutely zero other problems, but any problems have been resolved and I really can’t remember much.
“look at the start button” – I’m supposing you mean to check out the info Joeten suggested below.

Joeten
I will search for this and post again.

Thank you all again.