Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard drive dead, can I run my laptop off of USB?

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
I have an old Dell Latitude E5510. Didn't pay a lot for it, but it was working when I got it..no problems. Then about 2 months pass, and now I'm guessing the hard drive has gone out. When I start it up, the hard drive light comes on for a couple of seconds only, then the Dell screen...then nothing. Screen goes blank. Well, most of the time.
Sometimes, I can open it up, pull the hard drive, reseat it, then power it back up and it may run ok for the next 2 or 3 times I start it, but after that..back to dead again.
Anyway, I figured the hard drive is bad...so, I went into the bios and made it where it could boot from a USB first, then the disc drive second...no booting from the hard drive at all.
I know I can run some type of OS from a USB, I just don't know how to do it. I DO have an empty 8GB USB....so what could I put on it and how do i run the computer off of it?
Please be patient, as I've never done this before.
thanks in advance

#2 ·
You can use any distro of Linux from a USB.

Now on to your issue with your HDD. It could be the HDD going bad or the connection port of the mobo on your laptop. But having it serviced to find out what the actual problem is and cost....would it be worth it for you in the long run.

What you can do is replace the HDD and clean install your OS and see if issue remains.

#3 ·
Getting it serviced isn't worth the cost. I only payed $150 for it anyway.
New HDD is only about $50 or so.
So that's what I'd really like to do.
Now the question, what does a new HDD have on it, and how do I install Windows onto a new HDD without any CD?

#5 ·
Looks like the original OS that came with that model is Windows 7 Pro. You can download the ISO from Microsoft onto a USB flash drive or disc to reinstall the OS and use the Product Key on the COA sticker (usually under the laptop casing or under battery compartment) to activate it once reinstalled.

#4 ·
LOL, so I opened things up, blew out the connections on the hard drive, and internally...with canned air...and restarted....at first nothing...then about the 3rd or 4th restart...bam its up and running again. Going to see how it does if I keep it running...seems like it messes up when I shut it down and then start it up again later... maybe I'll just leave it on the table, plugged in..

#6 · (Edited)
Here is the link to download the ISO directly from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Before you begin
•Make sure you have: •Your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). Learn more.
•An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
•Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
•A blank USB or DVD (and DVD burner) with at least 4 GB of space if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.

Hope this helps.

#7 ·
well it ran fine..kept it on, because when I turn it off is when the problems start. I decided to turn off the touchpad, because I use a mouse..

touchpad driver needed updating, so I downloaded and installed the update...and it required a restart....ugh
did the restart, and it's doing the same old thing again.
Dell logo, with a bar at the bottom...bar fills up, logo disappears...then that's it.

#8 · (Edited)
At the Dell Logo, press F2 to enter Setup (Bios) Here, Under System Info on the left panel, does it show your HDD? If not, it may have failed. If listed, then go to the Boot tab. Move HDD to First Boot Device. Go to Hard Drive Mode, or SATA, mode should be set for AHCI. press ESC to Save and Exit
If the HDD is not listed under System Info, then you can remove the HDD from the computer and attach it to another computer via a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure with a power adapter. If you don't hear the drive spin up it has failed.
A new HDD will be RAW, nothing on it. Once you have installed the drive, As stated, on another computer, you can download a Windows 7 ISO and burn it to a USB Flash drive with Rufus in my signature. Boot off of your USB install media and follow the prompts to install. Use your product key on the bottom of the laptop to activate Windows.

#9 ·
guess I'm going to have to get the usb adapter and see if the HDD is going bad...
did all of the above, still...turn on the computer, hard drive light comes on for a few seconds until the Dell logo appears....then flickers a couple of times, Dell logo disappears...and nothing else happens.

#12 · (Edited)
If the HDD is failing it may be keeping the computer from booting to the Bios. You can remove the HDD from the computer, Once it is removed, the computer should boot to the Bios. If you can get to the Bios, Restart and press F12 and do the Diagnostics.
Or you can remove the HDD and attach it to a working computer via a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure with a power adapter. If the drive doesn't spin up or makes any noise, then it is failing or has failed.

#14 ·
final update.
replaced thermal paste...replaced cooler.
still nothing...runs through the Dell Symbol, then that's it...screen goes blank.
I've also noticed that the hard drive light only flickers for a little while, I'm assuming bad hard drive.
I'm getting a new laptop for Christmas, so no reason to mess with this one any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.