Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

get blank screen when i turn laptop on

This is a discussion on get blank screen when i turn laptop on within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi,i have an Acer aspire 7003wsmi and the screen doesnt come on anymore when i turn on the laptop,a couple

Old 10-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

hi,i have an Acer aspire 7003wsmi and the screen doesnt come on anymore when i turn on the laptop,a couple of days ago i turned it on and the screen was fine until about halfway through the boot process when it went pixelated and shut down the laptop,now when i turn it on it sounds like its booting as normal(fan starts up,doesnt turn off) its just the screen is blank,not even a flicker of life.i have removed the leads and put them back in place,i also removed the ram,hd,wireless card etc.also tries a hard reset(take battery out and hold power button for a minute,i also tried hooking it up to a monitor but i get nothing on there either,could be the bios settings are set for laptop screen only,thing is i cant see the bios to change the setting.is there any way i can change it without being able to see the settings?just to make sure the graphics card is not the culprit.at this point i'm thinking the screen has gone but i thought i'd ask an expert opinion before i fork out 70 quid.thanks

Old 10-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

the first thing you should do Is remove the ram. then try to start the computer. if your computer beeps at you then it might just be your screen. if your computer sounds like its running but does not beep when you remove the ram then you most likely have a bad motherboard. good luck. post to let me know what happened.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
Hardware Tech Team

My System

There are no changes in the BIOS that you need to change?

When connected to the external monitor you may have to toggle the display to the external (Fn+F3 or similar)

Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting
Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

hey guys thanks for the replies,i removed the ram like you said and it does exactly the same thing,no beeps or anything it just starts up the fan kicks in and it just stays on untill i press the power button to power off,i also did this without anything plugged in (hd,wireless card,ram,battery) and still not a sound or a flicker of life in the screen.also tried to boot from a disc with the same result.can we now say its the motherboard or do you have anything else i can try to identify the cause of the problem.thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

oh yeh and i have tried the fn route too makin and i get nothing,i dont think windows is booting up because i dont hear the windows startup sounds through the speakers.thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

You found the problem when you removed the ram and didn't hear any beeps. your computer has a dead motherboard. When you remove the ram on a good computer then it will beep at you. The beeps indicate that your computers power on self test has found something. If you do not have beeps when you remove the ram then most likely your computer will not post. This is usually caused by a bad motherboard. Sorry. Good luck
Old 10-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
Registered Member

thanks chico,the laptop is crackered....only good thing is that is wasnt mine ha! thanks again.