Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Gateway NV52 won't power on

This is a discussion on Gateway NV52 won't power on within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My gateway NV52 won't power on most of the time after going into sleep mode or being powered down. I

Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

My gateway NV52 won't power on most of the time after going into sleep mode or being powered down.

I tried various versions of turning off, remove battery, unplug power cord, hold power button for up to 3 mins.. Release and wait 1 min. Plug in power and turn on without battery ( tried it both ways, with and without). I think it worked one time but not sure because I can randomly turn it on after fiddling with it for an hour or more.

Side note: I flew to Hawaii on Sat and the problem started after I got here. I carried my laptop on the plane with me as carry on.

Any suggestions

Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello pfflier2008 and welcome to TSF,

When you attempt to power on your laptop, what happens?

Do any LED's light?
Does the fan come on?
Does the backlight light?

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflier2008 View Post
My gateway NV52 won't power on most of the time after going into sleep mode or being powered down.

I tried various versions of turning off, remove battery, unplug power cord, hold power button for up to 3 mins.. Release and wait 1 min. Plug in power and turn on without battery ( tried it both ways, with and without). I think it worked one time but not sure because I can randomly turn it on after fiddling with it for an hour or more.

Side note: I flew to Hawaii on Sat and the problem started after I got here. I carried my laptop on the plane with me as carry on.

Any suggestions
Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Registered Member

The on light and battery light come on. If i touch them, the light on the sound will come on. I can hear the fan running.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Take a run through these steps... Hopefully it is just a loose component (being jarred during travel)...

Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Registered Member

thank you for your help. I tried the suggestion of testing my mother board by removing the hard drive, ram, and cd drive. Then starting my computer. It did not beep or make a sound, so according to the suggestion, my mother board is probably fried.

It didn't stop working all the sudden, but after my flight it took a couple of tries to get it to boot up. Then the next time took more tries. I triec removing the battery, holding the power butto , waiting etc. It seemed to work one or two times, but after a while, nothing. Seems odd that once it was up it was up zbd running, it would go into xleep mode and then would not "wake up".
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

That is what I was afraid of...

According to the laptop specs, your laptop either has an NVidia Geforce G105M or ATI Radeon 3000... Do you know which one it is?

I am also wondering if your GPU is on a removable card (xmx) or integrated into the MB... It states in the specs that it has dedicated vram... Usually that is indicative of a removable unit... I am currently researching this...
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

From what I see, it does not have a dedicated video card....

Here is a video showing someone disassembling the laptop... Is this the same machine as yours?