Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gateway mt6840 laptop wont power on

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  BIGBEARJEDI 
#1 ·
ok good people i got another project i have a gateway mt6840 laptop and this laptop wont power on at all when i have it pluged in the wall adapter there isnt even a light that shows its charging or anything do you guys think the power supply went out on it thanks.

#5 ·
Hi SF: You better be careful, you are becoming the Computer Hospital ER where you live! :grin: I know, because people drop off their dead computers and printers at my house and my work all the time! :rolleyes:

I'll re-post this from before when we were working on your multi-ACER problems: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/black-screen-issues-and-troubleshooting-498132.html
One of the things you should pay attention to is the test which removes the Battery from the laptop. This is a no-brainer on laptops with your problem I see them all the time. People should be replacing their laptop batter within 1-2 yrs. of purchase, but rarely do. :nono: When laptop batteries fail, just as automobile batteries do, they often have 1 or more cells short out, and when they do, they can PREVENT the laptop from powering on, and even will prevent the Power or Charging LEDs from coming on, so the laptop looks like it has a dead Motherboard! :nonono: I've made some good money by going into businesses when they call me with a dead laptop, removing the battery and plugging in the AC Adapter (Power Supply) into the laptop and magically resuscitating their laptop to life!! 5 min. solution. Magic Beans for sure. :rofl: Customers can't whip out their checkbooks fast enough! :wink: Try this quick and simple test to help narrow things down. *it's also covered in the T/S Guide above, but you are learning lots about repairing laptops, so it's just a suggested shortcut to save you some time. It won't work in all cases of course*.

Looking forward very much to see what happens next. And what you're next sick laptop will be! lol. :hide:

Cheers, Buddy!
BBJ

#7 ·
Ok, then we'll move on from there. Thanks for posting back. :smile:

You'll need to follow the T/Shooting Guide in my Post #5 again. Test the RAM with Memtest 1 stick at a time, 8 passes minimum each stick. Test the hard drive with Seatools as with the 5920. And try the external monitor check. Do you see ANY lights or hear any sounds coming from the laptop, such as hard drive spinup, cd/dvd drive spinup, any activity including AC and hard drive LED lights on the front of the laptop on keyboard surface or front edge of laptop? Anything at all? :confused::confused:

If you get some lights, but no spinups, shine a flashlight onto the LCD panel as we had you do in the ACER troubleshooting, could be the Inverter or Backlight are out. :nonono: External monitor when hooked up shows a display, it's one of those or a faulty LCD panel. You know ALL about that one with the 5920. :frown::grin:

Follow the same methodology we did with the ACER; use that T/shooting Guide it's worth it's weight in Gold on these types of problems. :wink:

Post back and let us know about boot up audible activity, visual activity, or lack of and the external monitor and flashlight tests.

It sounds like your co-worker has decided you are going to be the dumping ground of broken and dead laptops at your work. Be aware that you'll only get about 1 in 3 or 4 that will even turn on. lol.:popcorn:

We'll advise you what to do next; after all we correctly diagnosed the faulty 5920 LCD!! :grin::cool:

BBJ :pcmad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.