Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Gateway laptop won't boot Windows XP.

This is a discussion on Gateway laptop won't boot Windows XP. within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, recently my laptop has been giving me some problems. It won't boot the operating system(which is windows xp).

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone, recently my laptop has been giving me some problems. It won't boot the operating system(which is windows xp). When I turn it on it gives me the Gateway screen and the option to press F10 for BOOT Menu and F2 for Bios Settings and I can enter those menus perfectly fine but it hasn't been able to solve anything. After that screen it gives me a black screen and it just sits there. I have tried putting in the restore disc that came with but it still gives me a black screen. I can hear it spinning in the dvd drive but nothing shows up. The laptop is about 3 years old and before this started happening there was a clicking sound coming from it during use(if that helps). I'm guessing it's the HDD? I'm not sure but any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

Try to use SeaTools or Hitachi DFT. Get the ISO or CD image files and burn them into a blank CD. Instructions on how to burn an ISO to a blank CD can be found by following the link on my sig.

Run SeaTools or Hitachi DFT via the Cd/DVD drive to be able to test your HDD.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
Try to use SeaTools or Hitachi DFT. Get the ISO or CD image files and burn them into a blank CD. Instructions on how to burn an ISO to a blank CD can be found by following the link on my sig.

Run SeaTools or Hitachi DFT via the Cd/DVD drive to be able to test your HDD.
I downloaded the SeaTools iso, burned it to a blank CD and I still got the same result. I could hear it spinning but it still gave me a black screen after the gateway screen. I tried rearranging the boot list in the bios settings and it still gave me a black screen. No matter which way I rearrange it, it always gives me a black screen after gateway screen.

To make sure I burned the disc correctly I tested it on a desktop(which is also running Windows XP) and it loaded perfectly fine.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

You have to boot from Cd drive to be able to run the diagnostics. To boot from CD drive you need to choose a boot device (F12 at Gateway logo splash). OR you can change boot order in BIOS setup.

You said you were able to test the CD in another computer. So that means you were able to boot from the CD drive in that other computer. Also with that I believe you saw the Seatools diagnostic menu. If this is not the case then you might not have burned the ISO file correctly (see HOW TO BURN ISO... link on my sig).
Old 03-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
You have to boot from Cd drive to be able to run the diagnostics. To boot from CD drive you need to choose a boot device (F12 at Gateway logo splash). OR you can change boot order in BIOS setup.

You said you were able to test the CD in another computer. So that means you were able to boot from the CD drive in that other computer. Also with that I believe you saw the Seatools diagnostic menu. If this is not the case then you might not have burned the ISO file correctly (see HOW TO BURN ISO... link on my sig).
Thanks for the quick response. I changed the boot order in the bios settings so that it would boot the cdrom/dvd drive first and saved my changes, choose the cdrom/dvd from boot menu and it still gave me the same result. Did everything you said but I keep getting a black screen regardless. And yes, it works perfectly fine on my desktop. No problems at all.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Your CD drive could be malfunctioning too. Try cleaning the lens. Or try a USB connected CD drive if your laptop can boot from USB connected CD drives.

Closed Thread