Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Gaming on a laptop

This is a discussion on Gaming on a laptop within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone. i have been given some money for my birthday and was concidering upgraiding the ram in my laptop.

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone. i have been given some money for my birthday and was concidering upgraiding the ram in my laptop. I have an Hp envy 15 1060 ea with and intel core i7 720qm at 1.6 Ghz and 4Gb ram at 1333Mhz. Also with an ATI radon HD 4830 graphics gard 1Gb DDR3.

Currnetly there are two ram slots out of four occupied with 2 2Gb cards. If i was to change this to four 2Gb cards would i notice an improvement in gaming performance. If not what else could i do to get better performance?

Old 10-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

Is the graphics card onboard, or is it removable?

Old 10-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Retired Mod.

Hey thekid, welcome to the forum

Just to add in,

4GB's of RAM is enough, if not more than enough, for games. You won't notice an improvement by adding more RAM.

Is there any particular reason why you want to upgrade your laptop? Can you run your games at max, do you experience some sort of lag?

If you come across a thread or post that is advertising, inflammatory or otherwise disagreeing with our rules, please use the Report button.

Have an issue? Post in the appropriate area and make sure to read any 'stickies' in that area, as they contain vital information.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

the graphics card might be removable but i am not allowed to open the computer up myself as i would void my warrenty so i would have to take it to a recognised repair shop. I thought it may improve the gaming performance as i would be using 4 ram slots instead of 2 so i thought that the time the processors took to acces the data would be reduced as there would be four busses instead of 2? The performance is ok i can max out most games i have and still get 30 fps or more but fallout 3 and bad company wont play maxed out with a decent frame rate.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Try playing with EVERYTHING disabled. open the game, minimize it then open task manager and close all your antiviruses, browsers, and other programs that you use but leave the services. After that end explorer.exe and close task manager and [alt+[tab] to open up your game. See if that has improved. If so then yes get more RAM. Oh and when your done, ctrl+alt+delete, open task manager and go to run, type explorer.exe to get your windows back.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Retired Mod.

I'm not really sure about the bus issue but I'm pretty sure you won't notice anything besides a whole in your wallet.

Your video card isn't the strongest, for higher end games your just going to have to lower the resolution/settings.

I really don't recommend upgrading laptop hardware because it's tricky, expensive and really just not worth it. If your really looking for customization, you may want to invest into some parts and just build a computer.

If you come across a thread or post that is advertising, inflammatory or otherwise disagreeing with our rules, please use the Report button.

Have an issue? Post in the appropriate area and make sure to read any 'stickies' in that area, as they contain vital information.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Retired Mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylishjm View Post
Try playing with EVERYTHING disabled. open the game, minimize it then open task manager and close all your antiviruses, browsers, and other programs that you use but leave the services. After that end explorer.exe and close task manager and [alt+[tab] to open up your game. See if that has improved. If so then yes get more RAM. Oh and when your done, ctrl+alt+delete, open task manager and go to run, type explorer.exe to get your windows back.
I would have to disgree with that, as long as he has enough RAM(which he does), that isn't necessary. By disabling your antivirus and firewall, you leave your system at risk.

If you think memory is an issue, hit 'ctrl' + 'alt' + 'del'. Open task manager, go to the 'Performance' tab. Check your memory usage, then go into a game and check your memory usage. You should still have plenty of room, if you didn't your game would lag which you never stated.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealex View Post
I would have to disgree with that, as long as he has enough RAM(which he does), that isn't necessary. By disabling your antivirus and firewall, you leave your system at risk.

If you think memory is an issue, hit 'ctrl' + 'alt' + 'del'. Open task manager, go to the 'Performance' tab. Check your memory usage, then go into a game and check your memory usage. You should still have plenty of room, if you didn't your game would lag which you never stated.
From personal experience it had improved performance. I have a 6month old Dell 4GB Ram, intel i5 with a 1GB Ati HD 5700, similar specs to his laptop and found slowdowns etc when playing games like battlefield, serious sam, gta etc.

By closing everything but the bare minimum required, the game performance improved alot. I also found certain anti-virus/firewall programs a memory & cpu hog.

Yes it can be a security issue, but if hes playing off-line, he could just switch off wireless or d/c ethernet. Online, he can leave the antivirus/firewall.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
Retired Mod.

I find that rather strange. I had a laptop with 3GB DDR2, Intel Centrino @ 2.0 GHZ, 5400 RPM HDD and a Nvidia 9500m GS. Ran games, itunes, xfire and my antivirus/firewall at the same time and never had an issue. The only reason why I can see why you had slowdowns is because the other programs you ran were HUGE in resources, then yes you will need more RAM if your going to be running huge programs like that. But, what else would you be running besides a game and maybe music? I don't know.

Though, some AV's aren't good for gaming, but seeing as the OP never said anything about chocks or stuttering I figured his is fine.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #10
Registered Member

If it's an i7 (which is like 8 cores i think, or 8 threads at least). I can't see anything bottlenecking that cpu.Same with ram 4 gb is more than enough even with dozens of processes running in the background.
The problem is your videocard. The 4830 is not that bad, but the mobile version (for laptops) is slower. So i'm affraid you can't do anything here. Maybe if you can replace the video card that will be your only option.

But I wouldn't do that, changing stuff on a laptop is always very tricky, everything is custom build and extremely sensitive to everything. You could be ending up with a non working laptop.

My advice buy a pc. If you don't have the money sell your laptop.
I made a gaming pc for 700 $ that runs everything maxed out.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Retired Mod.

I would have to agree, it's best to save up for a new custom built PC. They are upgradable, unlike laptops. Upgrading your video card may not even be possible, and having a higher end one may produce to much heat which isn't a positive.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Registered Member

i have just benchmarked just cause 2 and got 37.5 fps with lots of stuff open and 37.9 fps with everything closed. I know the hp envy is compatable with the ATI mobility Hd 5830 graphics card but that seems like a lot of effort. The antivirus i am using is McAffee btw and i am running windows 7 64 bit. I just thought it would be a good idea to utilise all of the RAM slots.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
Retired Mod.

Your better off spending the money on something else.

Not much of a fan of McAfee, but that's another topic. However if you want a 'slim' AV such as light on resources, I heard Avast and Nod32 are both 'slim'.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

id rather have something secure than fast to be honest. the best av i ever had was kaspersky it was awsome but the user licence ran out and benig a student i scrounged a free McAfee instead of renewing it.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Retired Mod.

I don't think I've heard anything bad about NOD32. McAfee though, I wouldn't really call 'secure'.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
Registered Member

neither would i but i didnt pay for it and havent had a great deal of time reacently to get another av. I was thinking about avg as my av and zone allarm as my firewall but i dont know if that will speed anything up. Another thing about this laptop that really annoys me besides the increadible burning heat when gaming is that on battery power the gaming performance is rubbish. Even with a total of 15 cells of battery.

I know that hp throttles down the processor and graphics card when on battery power by changing the highest multiplier for the processor to x7 but i dont know how to disable this. i cant access this in the bios settings which is a pain and i dont know if the batterys would be able to supply enough power to run the processors any higher. Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #17
Registered Member

You maybe able to game on full throttle for 15 mins on battery only , don't see the advantage of that. Also utilizing all your ram slots won't speed up anything. The 4 gb of ram you have now is more than enough, 3 gb would be even sufficient. So that's just throwing money away.

Your virussscan: if you have windows 7. just use microsoft security essentials, it's free.
Otherwise i always used avg never had any problems with that (free also).

And your virusscan isn't slowing down your pc (not with that cpu and ram)

Laptops are just not as good for gaming, because everything is so tiny. Even if the hardware is strong on paper. A desktop with the same hardware (on paper) is always a lot faster.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:30 AM   #18
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

I am just going to chime in here about the antivirus... Dump McAfee... I used Avast and AVG off and on for the past 8 years or more. (I would switch when one had a problem). I really wasn't very happy with the way both AVs were becoming more and more resource dependent and not offering any more protection. Being the cheapo that I am, and on recommendation from a few fellas here on TSF, I switched to MSE. So far I have been extremely impressed and more than happy with my decision to try it. It has caught everything so far and I haven't had an issue with "false alerts" (hated when AVG would lock a file because it thought it was a virus, but let a rootkit walk right through).

The best thing about MSE is it is light on resources and is, seemingly, seamlessly integrated into windows.

Just my 2ȼ

Listen to Zealex, he knows what he is talking about.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #19
Registered Member

i think i will just get rid of mcaffee as i read some reviews on it and it didnt have that great a detection rate. i have a total of about 150 watt hrs of power so at full power it should run for just over an hour but i think that the battery will just overheat or it will just be destroyed so i think ill forget about full power battery gaming. im still tempted to even get a couple of 1gb ram cards to see if that makes any difference.