Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Game performance keeps degrading

This is a discussion on Game performance keeps degrading within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This started about 3 weeks ago on my Toshiba Satellite pro A300 laptop. Mafia 2 was playing fine, very smoothly,

Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

This started about 3 weeks ago on my Toshiba Satellite pro A300 laptop.

Mafia 2 was playing fine, very smoothly, and so was Fallout 3. I then installed Call of duty Black ops, with the DirectX that came with it(strangely, my computer installed this DirectX instead of telling me the usual, that there was no need to install it as my DirectX was already up to date). Anyway, the performance of that game was horrible, almost like a slideshow.

So I came back to where I left off in Mafia 2, and suddenly, I found that every place where the game previously ran smooth, there was now stuttering and slowdowns, except for when I'm looking at the ground or into walls. So I couldn't play Mafia 2 anymore.

Then I went back to Fallout 3, and the game was still thankfully running smoothly, and this was with graphics options set at medium, until about a week ago, when the game performance also started getting crappier. So now Fallout 3 is also unplayable(though at the absolute lowest graphics settings the game runs fine except for some slow down in some places).

Then of course I went crazy, trying all sorts of stuff. I first started simple, I set the laptop at high performance, defragmented drives, killed every single application and process in the background, and it did absolutely nothing.

Then I opened up the laptop, cleaned every part, removed any dust I could find(and there was hardly any dust to find), and replaced the white silicon thermal paste with a fresh batch of some more silicon paste(not that it would make a difference since I had already done this procedure 2 months ago), and still nothing!

Now I was going insane, I went to every store I could think of, looking for the best thermal pastes that money could buy, and found Shin-EtsuMicroSi. So I opened up my laptop again, applied this new paste to all needed parts as carefully as a diamond cutter working on a diamond, and STILL NOTHING!

Now I'm planning on formatting and starting from scratch(yet again), since this dilemma started after I installed that piece of trash CoD Black Ops(even if that game worked it would have probably sucked), so I'm now downloading Windows 7 64-bit.

So any advice would be helpful. Thank you for reading.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Have you checked your Temps in the Bios? Laptops are designed for convenience and lack the ability to effectively dissipate heat. The increased demand on components from gaming causes higher temps and quicker degradation of parts.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Have you checked your Temps in the Bios? Laptops are designed for convenience and lack the ability to effectively dissipate heat. The increased demand on components from gaming causes higher temps and quicker degradation of parts.
I check my temperatures with SpeedFan, only every single minute!

Here is what the temperatures look like when my laptop is idle:

And here is what the temperatures look like when gaming:

This gaming temperature is not very accurate as Temp1 is usually between 52 C and 65 C degrees.
And an important note: There is ALWAYS a fire icon beside the Temp1 when I'm playing a game (and I really don't know what part of my laptop Temp1 is supposed to represent, all I know is that it has the name "ACPI" next to it in configuration). The other three temperatures never, and I mean never, have the fire icon beside them, gaming or not gaming. Now I don't know what the temperature "Temp1" is supposed to be for my computer to be healthy, but I'm pretty sure that the fire icon beside it is not a good sign.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

speedfan is for fans and not for temps it has not been 100% accurate for around 8 years.

If you can use the BIOS as its most accurate otherwise use CPUID hardware monitor or Real temp (only works on CPUs made by intel)

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
speedfan is for fans and not for temps it has not been 100% accurate for around 8 years.

If you can use the BIOS as its most accurate otherwise use CPUID hardware monitor or Real temp (only works on CPUs made by intel)
Okay then, CPUID it is:

This is the idle temperature:

(Funny they look so different from SpeedFan temps)

This is the temperature when Gaming:

Are you sure this thing is accurate? Cause it's giving higher temperatures when Idle than when Gaming!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

its more accurate than speedfan.

download real temp and see what that says.

looking at those temps your cpu is a bit too hot.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
its more accurate than speedfan.

download real temp and see what that says.

looking at those temps your cpu is a bit too hot.
Alright then, here's RealTemp too:

Temperature when Idle:

Temperature when Gaming

Now these look a little more plausible than CPUID (just a little).
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

you havent put what it said.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
you havent put what it said.
I don't understand what you mean.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

you have said Temeprature when idle: then there is nothing and you have put temperature when gaming: then there is nothing.

i.e no figures or readings.

please use the attachments botton to post pictures.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
you have said Temeprature when idle: then there is nothing and you have put temperature when gaming: then there is nothing.

i.e no figures or readings.

please use the attachments botton to post pictures.
You mean you can't see the images?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

yes

use the attachment button to post your pics not links to image shack.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
yes

use the attachment button to post your pics not links to image shack.
I'm getting confused here, you mean that paperclip symbol by "attachment button"? If yes, then I just uploaded the images; and I still don't understand why you can't see the pics in the previous message, they're right there, they're pictures not links.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RealTemp idle temp.png
Views:	14
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	106046   Click image for larger version

Name:	RealTemp Gaming.png
Views:	15
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	106047  
Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #14
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

press the sensor button at the bottom of real temp and also run the 10 minute xs bench test (you will need to download prime 95 for it to work) if your temps get anywhere near 70 degrees c then you have a heat problem.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
press the sensor button at the bottom of real temp and also run the 10 minute xs bench test (you will need to download prime 95 for it to work) if your temps get anywhere near 70 degrees c then you have a heat problem.
Okay,
so here is the result of the sensor test:

Now are you sure that if it's above 70 C then I have a heat problem? Cause it says 100 C and 99 C.

And this is the result of the XS Bench test (whatever it is):

Now about that 100 C I got in the stress test, could you please help me narrow down the source of the problem?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #16
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

On real temp in the images you just posted where it says distance to TJ max that is the thermal junction of the cpu. If the TJ max shows 0 then your cpu is at the point of being damage due to excessive heat.

Basically when your system is being stressed in games it is getting very hot and this is why your game performance is degrading. The automatic safety features will be throttling the cpu to a slow speed to try and stop the overheating and this is why you will get lag.

Buy a can of compressed air and blow out any dust that is inside the laptop and try and do this ASAP otherwise your system will sustain permanent damage.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #17
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
On real temp in the images you just posted where it says distance to TJ max that is the thermal junction of the cpu. If the TJ max shows 0 then your cpu is at the point of being damage due to excessive heat.

Basically when your system is being stressed in games it is getting very hot and this is why your game performance is degrading. The automatic safety features will be throttling the cpu to a slow speed to try and stop the overheating and this is why you will get lag.

Buy a can of compressed air and blow out any dust that is inside the laptop and try and do this ASAP otherwise your system will sustain permanent damage.
Please read my first post, the last four paragraphs to be precise.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #18
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBM-man View Post
Please read my first post, the last four paragraphs to be precise.
Too much thermal paste is as bad as none. re-do the paste you should use no more than the size of a pea or grain of rice.

Too much paste will insulate the heat instead of dissapating it.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #19
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Too much thermal paste is as bad as none. re-do the paste you should use no more than the size of a pea or grain of rice.

Too much paste will insulate the heat instead of dissapating it.
Yes I already know it's only used to fill the microscopic gaps, and I actually put so much pressure on it I was afraid I would damage the CPU.
Any other suggestions?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #20
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

fresh paste with old paste wont work.

I think you should remove all the paste completley and start again. Once you remove the cooler the paste that is on the cooler and the cpu becomes immediatley useless.