Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Found New Hardware Wizard

This is a discussion on Found New Hardware Wizard within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I've been getting help on here removing malware and my laptop is now clean. http://www.techsupportforum.com/f100...ky-462527.html but for some reason

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I've been getting help on here removing malware and my laptop is now clean. http://www.techsupportforum.com/f100...ky-462527.html but for some reason I keep getting the 'Found New Hardware Wizard' come up and it wont go away.

As soon as I turn the laptop on the wizard comes up trying to install software for 'Unknown'.
If I click next it says 'The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software'
When I click finish it just comes straight back up again. Even with the 'don't prompt me again' box ticked.

In device manager under Other devices there are 50 entries of 'Unknown device'
There is nothing in the properties of these to see what they are. In properties it just says Unknown.

Will it be ok to uninstall the devices to see if this fixes it?

Old 02-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

no do not uninstall these devices as they are required and they are most probably built into the motherboard. do you have the motherboard disks as you will need them to reinstall all the stuff that isnt working or is unknown

Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

I've got all the disks but it's actually a netbook so there's no disk drive. Do you think it will be quite difficult to fix?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

do you have a portable cd rom drive? if not it is a case of simply downloading the drivers from the manufacturers website
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

First, make sure you have XP-SP3 and the latest MS Updates installed.

Disable (set to 'do not use this device') all the unknown devices in Device Manager, reboot and install the latest chipset and device drivers that you've downloaded from the manufacturers' websites.

If there are no unknown devices listed in Device Manager, go to View in the menu bar and click 'Show hidden devices'.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi,
I have xp-sp3
I've disabled all of the unknown devices. When I rebooted it didn't come up with the found new hardware wizard but they're all still in the device manager.
Do you know what drivers I need to download and install?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Do you also have the MS updates?

If there are no problems after disabling the unknown devices, you can uninstall them. Right-click each unknown device in Device Manager and select Uninstall. Reboot after completing.

You need to install the latest motherboard chipset drivers and the drivers for all the devices listed in Device Manager.