Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

esc key not working (2 laptops one is new)

This is a discussion on esc key not working (2 laptops one is new) within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. and its driving me bonkers. Both laptops are avent - one running Vista (the older one) & my daughter's running

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

and its driving me bonkers. Both laptops are avent - one running Vista (the older one) & my daughter's running Windows 7. We are not very technical and dont know where to start to work out what is wrong. Initially the escape keys worked on both machines - I am guessing we have both downloaded something that disabled the escape key.

I am loath to remove stuff if I dont know what it is but have tried uninstalling anything I'm certain I put on there myself to no avail.

Is there anyway of diagnosing what might be causing this infuriating problem (makes it impossible to negotiate menus) - and fixing it.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

Do you have any idea when this problem started occurring?
If so do a system restore back to a date when everything was working

System Restore:
Start Menu > Click on All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

It may take some time but do not touch or turn off your computer while it is running. I advise to plug your charger in so your laptop's dont run out of charge half way through and you run into more trouble.

Hope that helped, post back your findings

Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

have you pressed the shift button 5 times in a row ?

try this solution , go to control panel - ease of access and disable everything
Old 04-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

Since its on 2 laptops I think we can rule out bad keys (but not all the way).

Have you tried using the Esc key while in the BIOS or safe mode?

Enter BIOS by pressing the key for "setup" as the computer starts up. It will say what key to press somewhere on the screen for a few seconds. Usually its F2 F11 or even Esc :). When in the BIOS or setup see if the key legend says anything for Esc like "exit without saving" and try it. If the listed function happens then Esc key is working in BIOS.

Enter Safe Mode by spamming "F8" key as the computer starts up until a menu comes up with safe mode options. Choose "Safe mode with networking" and try Esc key functions when windows starts. If they work it could be a virus so while your in safe mode download an AV like malwarebytes. Update it and run it.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Many thanks for all your helpful responses - we learned a lot ! In the end (in case it helps anyone in future) the culprit was hkcmd.exe - which I believe we inadvertantly got by updating a driver as per Intel's instructions when patch 2.0dear fell upon Warcraft :) I may be wrong on where we got it but it was that which caused the problem with the esc key not responding. Thanks so much for helping us out though. Its comforting to know I can ask here when I'm out of my depth.

No must be wrong where we got it - daughters computer is was bought long after that - mystery!