Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

E SYSTEM G335 laptop

This is a discussion on E SYSTEM G335 laptop within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all,my first post, hope someone can help. My grandaughter's laptop is producing a burning smell when switched on but

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,my first post, hope someone can help.
My grandaughter's laptop is producing a burning smell when switched on but before I can investigate I need to recharge the battery, I cannot do this with the mains adapter (the possible fault) because the plugin connector gets very hot (to hot to hold). The laptop indicates a fault and a message warns to shut down. I need to recharge the battery before I can go any further, can anyone suggest a method of charging the battery from an external source?? Many thanks. Roy

Old 05-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

Hi Roy,

i do not think there is one for laptop batteries (if you mean like the ones used to charge a rechargeable A, AA or AAA batteries). if the AC adapter is too hot to hold, definitely there is something wrong with it. does it turn hot only when plugged into the laptop while still plugged into the wall outlet? if so, try pulling out connector from laptop and see if it cools down while only plugged on the wall outlet.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Shan, thanks for reply, the plug does not get hot when trans. is just switched on. There is no obvious sign of a "short" when I make the connection with the trans. switched on. I have noticed that the CPU fan does not operate, although I have removed the small connector and put 6v across it and the fan works. The "heat sink" of the CPU starts to warm if the connector is left connected for a minute or so. I think I will have to take a closer look, maybe take the base off and look for something obvious, it will be a first for me. thanks for your help. Roy
Old 05-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

hi,

so fan spins if directly connected to a power source but does not spin when plugged in the motherboard? the fans usually spin at start up and is controlled by the motherboard. by the way, any other signs during startup? do any of the LEDs light up? you could be looking at a dying motherboard.

by the way it is normal if the heatsink heats up a few seconds after power ON. fan at startup spins then stops waiting to be switched ON again by the motherboard as the temperature reaches a certain high limit. once it cools down, the fans turn OFF.

since you have opened it up and checking the obvious, reseat the cables and also the CPU. re-apply thermal compound on CPU and heatsink and see if there is any improvement.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks Shan for the info, will spend a bit of time with it, soon as poss, and let you know the outcome, grateful. Roy