Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Dropped laptop, need to recover files

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Masterchiefxx17 
#1 ·
My daughter dropped my laptop (hard!) while it was running. It's a 7-month old ASUS X55lEB01. Now it won't boot up. It has power and tries to diagnose and repair itself, to no avail. I opened it up, removed the battery and put it back in, removed the hard drive and put it back in, etc. I just did these things in hopes that it might make some kind of magical difference. My main problem is the computer has files on it that I need to recover, as I didn't back them up in any way. I know, I know, lesson definitely learned! Is there any hope? Do you think the hard drive is toast? It has power and makes no funny noises.

I looked into getting this product from newegg but not sure if it is my solution: Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2.

I am not in any way in the IT field so please "dumb down" your responses. :blush:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks much,
Chris

#12 ·
Re: Dropped laptop, need to recover files

Okay the device arrived from Amazon and I had no trouble connecting it, and it seems to be working properly.

When I try to access the drive I get this:

You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it.

Of course I don’t want to do this as it will erase all of my data.

Then I get this:

E:\ is not accessible. Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Thoughts?

#17 ·

In Disk Management, does this drive show there? If so, does your drives file system say it's Unallocated Space? Or is the Disk # (eg) Disk 1, Disk 2 etc say it is Not Initialized?
You can try and recover your files by using the free Test Disk Program. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.

#20 ·

It worked! It worked! It worked! It worked! It worked! It worked! It worked! It worked! It worked! It worked!

You guys are AMAZING! I was able to recover all but two of the documents from the bad hard drive using the free version of GetDataBack. I'm walking on air right now. I was really losing hope that any of this would work. This is a tremendous weight lifted off of my shoulders.

Words cannot describe how thankful I am of all of you that helped me. Keep doing what you are doing. You made a big difference in my life! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.