Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Do i need to replace LCD or Video Card?

This is a discussion on Do i need to replace LCD or Video Card? within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay i just purchased on ebay a dell latitude c840 with the uxga display. Its pent 4m 2.4ghz with 1gb

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Okay i just purchased on ebay a dell latitude c840 with the uxga display. Its pent 4m 2.4ghz with 1gb ram and 120gb hard drive. The laptop started to boot into a greenish like look and then when i restarted the laptop the problem went away. However, the problem got really bad one day and just did not go away. I tried bios and driver updates to no avail. I even had tech support from dell tell me the laptop was probably going to need another LCD. I should note 2 events: I connected the laptop to an external lcd display and the only thing displayed was the desktop wallpaper and not the Icons from the laptop. Also i readjusted the video cables in the laptop and no improvement. When i saw a picture of how to remove the LCD panel i noticed there was also cables in back of the panel. So instead of opening the LCD i just used my hands to sort of put pressure on back of my LCD and this seemed to improve the display. should i go ahead and try removing the LCD panel and adjusting those back ribbon cables as well.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Try reseating those ribbon cables. If that doesn't work, you are probably going to need a new LCD if the external monitor works when the LCD doesn't, it is a display problem. The actual inverter is probably still good.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

yes you do. you can find lcd tv card