Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Did magnet break the laptop?

This is a discussion on Did magnet break the laptop? within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I would appreciate any advice please. My son, placed quite a strong magnet (from a mini spinning globe) on the

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

I would appreciate any advice please. My son, placed quite a strong magnet (from a mini spinning globe) on the keyboard of his new laptop it is an Advent Roma and it has not worked since. The laptop plugs in and and makes a noise as if it's working but the screen is blank and I can't get anything up on it except some of the "F" keys but nothing happens when I press them. Sorry about being so vague, I'm a bit of a techno-phobe! and not quite sure how to explain things very well. Any help/advice in idiot proof terms would be so much appreciated!!!. Many many thanks.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello mumofmany and welcome to TSF.

Idiotproof is like childproof... there is no such thing! I don't think you are an idiot though, you came to the right place.

When you say it hasn't worked since, does it turn on? If so, how far does it get before it stops working?

First thing I want you to do is;
  1. Disconnect the power "brick".
  2. Remove the Battery.
  3. Hold the power button for 60 seconds.
  4. Replace the battery.
  5. Replace the power cord.
  6. Try and boot up.

This is known as a hard reset.

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi, thanks for replying. When I plug in the charger the laptop comes on with the Advent logo shown and a grey bar at the bottom with "Please wait" on the bottom left hand side. There is a darker blue rectangle in the middle of the grey bar too. There is also quite a loud clicking noise. It seems to be charging ok but that's as far as it will go. Occasionally the "F" buttons will show in the grey bar but nothing happens when I click on them I'll try the hard reset now. Many thanks.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

I've tried the hard reset but it's not done anything different. It is changing from the screen with the logo to a blank screen and still making the clicking noise just as it has been doing. Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again
Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

I want you to download and run your MFG HDD from the link in my signature. If you don't know your manufacturer, download the Hitatchi Drive Fitness Tool.

If you are using 7 you can burn the image to disc, if not, download ImgBurn and use it to burn the image.

Run the short test first and then the long test if it passes.

Let me know the results.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

I'm kinda struggling with this! Once I've downloaded it onto this computer I'm using, how do I get it on the laptop that's broken?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Sounds like the magnet erased the hard drive. It may have ruined it also. You will need to try installing the operating system again. If this fails a new hard drive is in order.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hi and thanks, I will give anything a go if I know how to do it! Would you happen to know if hard drives are expensive to buy/fit or is it best to buy a new laptop? many thanks for taking the time to reply
Old 10-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Registered Member

You can replace the hard drive in a laptop pretty easy usually. There is a small door on the underside of the laptop or sometimes it is under the keyboard. Depending on how old your laptop is would determine if it is worth replacing the drive or the whole laptop. Because in order to replace the harddrive you will need a copy of the operating system and access to the manufacturers website to download the drivers and burn them to a disk or flash drive from another computer. If you need parts or a laptop I recommend www.microcenter.com. I bought a refurbished toshiba a few months back for about $400 cheaper than anywhere else. But they have all kinds of computer stuff. And hard drives, operating systems, computers, etc. Its my toy store. LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Registered Member

Oh I forgot to add that you need to make sure the drive is for a laptop. That would be a 2.5 inch drive Not a 3.5 inch as in a desktop.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumofmany View Post
I'm kinda struggling with this! Once I've downloaded it onto this computer I'm using, how do I get it on the laptop that's broken?
I'm sorry for the slow reply, I must've missed this when I was going through my threads.

The test will need to be burned onto CD. Then you will boot to the CD and run the tests.

About replacing the HDD. You stated that the laptop is "new". I wouldn't replace anything on it yourself. If it can't be fixed without taking it apart you should send it in RMA for warranty repair.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
Registered Member

That is very true. If it is under warranty, you should take advantage of that before attempting anything yourself that could void your warranty.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Registered Member

Thank you, I thought as my son had placed the magnet on it the warranty would be invalid. It's about 10 months old he got it for last xmas and has only used it twice!! Incidentally his brother has an identical laptop which he dropped and the screen is broken, could the hard drive be taken out of that and put in the other one? Kids eh! lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
Registered Member

If the laptops are identical as you say in all aspects (memory, cpu, etc) than yes they could be swapped out. And that would be a very good and easy solution. But they must be the same so as not to confuse the operating system or the system may not boot into the newly installed drive.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #15
Registered Member

I bought both the same from the same shop and exactly the same models, they came in the same box with everything the same inside! being a bit of a techno-phobe I'm presuming they are the same, lol.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

Then I would say yes. But I would contact the manufacturer even if only on their website and find out about the warranty and what all is covered before you attempt to fix it. What I would do is take the one with the broken monitor first and use it to find out where the hard drive is on them. That way you are not tearing up the good one to find it. My only concern would be that if the one laptop was dropped that it broke the monitor, the force of the drop could have also ruined that drive as well. Mechanical harddrives do not take sudden forces such as dropping very well. Does this laptop have a outside connection for a monitor? That way you could make sure that the computer works except for the monitor before going to all the trouble of removing the drive to transplant it in the other computer.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

you should have downloaded a iso copy. just write it to the cd, insert the cd into the bad laptop and boot to it.

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #18
Registered Member

The laptop with the broken monitor still works! It can be switched on and used, most of the damage is to the hinges. There doesn't seem to be any place to add another monitor. I'm presuming the hard drive is working ok as it switches on and can be used. You think it's safe to try and swap them over? Thanks so much for all your time it's much appreciated.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
you should have downloaded a iso copy. just write it to the cd, insert the cd into the bad laptop and boot to it.

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll certainly give it a try and see what happens. Really appreciate all your ideas guys.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #20
Registered Member

Yes as long as they are identical computers. As I say use the one with the broken monitor first to find the hard drive. look on the bottom of the laptop to see if they have access there first. Usually, but not always, access to the memory and harddrive is from the bottom. Laptops are proprietary though so every manufacturer is different. If it is not from the bottom than it is under the keyboard which is a little more difficult.