Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Dell XPS M1330 Not Power On

This is a discussion on Dell XPS M1330 Not Power On within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi my Dell XPS M1330 not power on even with or without battery. Every time when i plug in the

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi my Dell XPS M1330 not power on even with or without battery. Every time when i plug in the adapter, the adapter LED indicator lights off.

Thank you in advance.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

When did this problem start? Was it during a thunderstorm or blackout? Was the laptop dropped? Was something spilled on it? Please provide as much information as possible.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Nothing happen at all. The last thing was watching movie. The next day laptop not power on. Happen so sudden.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello chriszcheah,

Do you have access to a spare power adapter to try? It sounds like your adapter may have failed.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinzach View Post
Hello chriszcheah,

Do you have access to a spare power adapter to try? It sounds like your adapter may have failed.
Hi gavinzach thank you for your reply. I haven't tried yet. For your info, before plug into laptop the blue LED light is on but when plug into laptop the blue LED lights off. Would it be adapter problem?...
Old 12-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

You are speaking of the LED on the power supply, correct?

That is one of the things that lead me to believe your adapter is failing. It is not allways the case, but the supply may be producing enough power to light the LED on the unit, but once it is plugged in to the computer, there is too much draw for it to sustain the necessary voltage to keep the light lit.

There is an easy way to test this theory, if you have an incandescent test light.

Attach the alligator clip (common) to the outside portion of the DC plug. Use the probe to touch the internal portion (+). The light should come on and stay brightly lit. If it dims or goes out then your supply is failed.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

thank you bro. I should try and post the results here later. hopefully is adapter problem.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

No problem, I hope that is the issue as well... it is one of the easisest to rectify.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

Oh ooh... I test my adapter with multimeter set to DCV 50 and is working so what should i do bro?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

The problem with using a multimeter is that they do not supply draw to the power adapter, they only test the voltages.

You need something, like an incandescent test light.

Attach the light and see if the light dims. You can also check the output under minor draw, it should still be putting out the specified rating. If there is a significant drop, then the adapter is not providing enough power.

The only other thing that would cause the light in the adapter to go out would be a short-circuit that activates the protection circuit.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Registered Member

ok will try and post the result again....
Old 12-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
Registered Member

This is a common problem with the XPS M1330's... short condition on the motherboard somewhere.. see: http://www.aqstech.com/dellbios12.htm

I think they charge about $100 for the repair...

Or replace the motherboard..?