Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Dell Vostro 1000 laptop-typing lag, sound lag, everything lag

This is a discussion on Dell Vostro 1000 laptop-typing lag, sound lag, everything lag within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So, I have a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop (which buying was a big mistake, I'm aware of that now) and

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

So, I have a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop (which buying was a big mistake, I'm aware of that now) and I run Windows XP Service Pack 3. I have had (and am currently having) so many problems with it that I don't even know where to start, or if this is even the right place to put this.

Months and months ago (I don't remember how far back exactly--but it's been at least since September 2010) I installed an Adobe Flash update. Everything was fine but then all of a sudden my internet browsers starting freezing up, every single one of them--Firefox, Opera, even Internet Explorer. I disabled the Flash plugin, but the only browser that would work without freezing was, and is to this day, Opera. I figured it was a problem with the Flash plugin, so I just uninstalled it and tried to go back to an older version. Didn't change anything. So I thought I had a virus, ran some antiviruses and did a system restore. Still nothing. I even did a system restore as far back as I could possibly go, and it didn't make a difference.

So although it's annoying, I've just been living with Flash uninstalled and my Java plugins turned off on Opera, because that's the only way I can use the internet without everything freezing. It's a pain, but I digress. I'm also having trouble with my keyboard and my sound. Basically, it's like everything on the computer just suddenly lags for a while. Especially when I'm typing, for a while it'll be fine, and then all of a sudden it's like a huge delay, then it jumps forward. Except sometimes, it doesn't jump forward--if my mouse is not off the screen from where I'm typing, the cursor will jump back to the middle of the sentence and just completely glitch up. For example, a clip from a conversation I had a while ago:

me: 'oh. okay'
right XD
6:54 PM
I wanna be l span that sucks' fine, it's your attention span that sucks'
stupid keyboard
I wanna be like 'your writing is fine, it's your attention span that sucks'*

Trust me, I know I make plenty of typos, but that's not one of them. What also seems to go hand in hand with this lag is sound lag on my computer. Not just music--half the time I can't even use WMP because that freezes too. If I have my computer unmuted, for a little while it'll play sound normally (like the dings from IM windows and stuff, and the beep when you adjust the volume on the slider). But then it'll just stop. No sound. The programs will be running, but there's no sound coming out, and if I open up my volume control, it will freeze. Then, a while later (it's been up to an hour before), it's as though all the sound suddenly catches up in one go, and there's a bunch of beeping all at once before it goes back to normal (only to lag again).

Finally, the task manager itself seems to lag as well. If a program freezes up and won't close, naturally I open the task manager to try and force quit it. But it doesn't work. Even if I switch to processes and try to close it from there, it just won't close. The window will pop up asking me if I want to end the process, and I'll say yes, but when the window goes away, it's still there, still frozen. Even shutting down my computer lags--sometimes it shuts down instantly, like it should, other times it takes at least half an hour before it even registers that I hit the 'shut down' button.

TL;DR: Can't have Java plugins installed or enabled. All browsers (firefox, chrome, IE) freeze, only Opera works as long as plugins are disabled. Keyboard lags immensely when typing, cursor jumps to middle of sentence. Sound lags--stops making sound, then all catches up at once. Task Manager lags, can't force-quit programs. Shut down lags, sometimes takes a very long time to shut down. Tried system restore and antiviruses and chkdisk, nothing has helped.

My warranty is up on Dell and the cost to renew it is half the price of a brand new laptop. So I just want to know. Is this a software problem? A hardware problem? Are all of these part of the same issue (like a virus) or is this just such a piece of crap that they're all separate problems? Can I fix it myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The only other solution I can possibly think of is just totally wiping the hard drive and reinstalling XP.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I should also mention that the battery is totally dead (or something?) because the second I unplug it, it jumps to 'cirtical battery life' warning and shuts down. I've had to replace the AC adapter at least three times. I don't know if that's relevant or not, but yeah.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF has the air vents and fan been cleaned with a can of compressed air ? have run any diagnostics for the ram,gpu,and hdd ie memtest 86+, furmark, seatools for dos to check for any issues,have you run sfc /scannow to check the file integrity you could also run malwarebytes and superantispyware to scan for malware

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi and welcome to TSF has the air vents and fan been cleaned with a can of compressed air ? have run any diagnostics for the ram,gpu,and hdd ie memtest 86+, furmark, seatools for dos to check for any issues,have you run sfc /scannow to check the file integrity you could also run malwarebytes and superantispyware to scan for malware

Thanks! I haven't cleaned it, I'll do that as soon as I get a chance. And no, I haven't run any of those diagnostics--could you tell me where to go/what to download or do so I can do those and put up the results? (I'm not a techie--just a regular person with laptop trouble, haha). I'll run malwarebytes and superantispyware and see if they come up with anything, but I've already done spybot, avast! and avira and none of those have helped. Still with a shot though. Thanks :)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Here you go Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
Memtest86+ Guide/How To's - Overclockers Forums
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
SeaTools | Seagate
this is imgburn for burning the iso disc The Official ImgBurn Website

Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you so much! I'll do those as soon as I get home tonight.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Take your time and run memtest on one stick at a time for at least 7 passes it will take you sometime to complete all the tests,read the tutorial for sea tools

Closed Thread