Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Dell Laptop thinks battery is dead - but battery is working fine

This is a discussion on Dell Laptop thinks battery is dead - but battery is working fine within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Latitude D620. I recently installed a new hard drive, and with it a new version of

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Dell Latitude D620. I recently installed a new hard drive, and with it a new version of XP. At the time, the battery in my laptop was dead (e.g. unplug it and it shuts off in 5 seconds).

A few days later I got a brand new battery. However, my computer will not stop giving me the same messages about my battery being about to die. When I start up my computer, I get a message. Whenever I unplug it from the wall, I get a pop up screen telling me its about to die. Most annoyling, If i'm using it without the cord, windows after about an hour will shut down because it says my battery is dead. When I start it back up, it will last for another hour hour on the battery just fine. The battery indicator in the toolbar is fine - it will tell me I have about 2 hours fully charged.

Not sure what to do at this point. I have tried running my battery down to when it actually dies, but i'm still getting the messages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

did you get this battery from Dell, or from a third party.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drivenjesus

Try going into the Start Menu/Control Panels and Power settings and turn off the messages on 10%power etc?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

The battery is a dell battery bought from Dell. In fact, dell replaced my old dell battery with this one.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:01 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

tbh as this is a new dell battery I would be inclined to get back to them and explain the problem, as it must be under guarantee.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

I guess that you need to update the Bios because old Bios not communicate with your laptop battery well