Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Dell laptop blue screen freeze problem

This is a discussion on Dell laptop blue screen freeze problem within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I have a DEll Inspiron 5160 laptop. When I start the laptop , I get the first screen with

Old 03-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

Evil

Hello
I have a DEll Inspiron 5160 laptop. When I start the laptop , I get the first screen with Dell logo and it freezes here. I tried the following things:
1. Tried F2/F12 but of no avail
2. Tried invoking Dell diagnostics (by presssing Fn + Power on) , but Dell screen is not ready to go

3. I remove the hardware in following sequence as given on dell website and reseated them:
1. AC adapter
2. Battery
3. Memory
4. Hard Drive

4. Tried starting laptop on AC power only after removing the battery..no difference

These are the things I tried. Please suggest something. TIA
Pankaj

Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Remove the hard drive and attempt to boot the laptop.

Test to see if you can enter System Setup (F2) with the hard drive removed.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

No difference..freezes at the same point
Old 03-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

Saw some guy at youtube suggesting to remove 1 memory out of 2 dimms and try running with that. This also didn't work..after blue screen got the message (on a black screen) that System memory has changed and system froze at that point.

One more thing i noticed that when the screen freezes, fan stops working. Not a computer geek just trying to give some inputs if these can help in nailing the issue.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Did you try booting with each memory module individually?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yes as I mentioned there are 2 memories Dimm A and B:

1. First I took out Dimm B and tried starting with it: It got through the first Dells screen to system error saying .. system memory has changed and stuck here

2. Then I took out Dimm A, replaced Dimm B and tried starting with it: It got through the first Dells screen to system error saying .. system memory has changed and stuck here

Any more suggestions ???
Old 03-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

A little update
2. Then I took out Dimm A, replaced Dimm B and tried starting with it: Laptop doesn't start at all..get some sounds from fan and dies down. Seems it is mandatory to have memory in Dimm A.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I would suggest taking a look at the thread below and performing the Troubleshooting steps.

Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting