Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Dell Inspiron 600M will not power on.

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron 600M will not power on. within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dell Inspiron 600M will not power on. No LEDs light up & power supply checks good with VOM. I completely

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Wink

Dell Inspiron 600M will not power on. No LEDs light up & power supply checks good with VOM. I completely took it apart to access the power connector on the motherboard and found secure connections to MB. This is my son-in-law's laptop, so I do not have extended knowledge of its history, but I did hear a Coke may have been spilled on it, however it worked for quite some time after that (months). My latest thought is, if the battery is bad and possibly shorted out, would this cause no power to go to the computer. (Naturally I neglected to try starting the computer without the battery BEFORE I disassembled it!) Is there anything else I should look at prior to assembling it and trying it without the battery? How can I check if the motherboard is bad? Thanks, Russ

Old 05-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

hi,

best if you have a spare to test the parts with... like a spare laptop of the same make and model. but this is very unlikely i assume. sometimes spills can destroy or corrode components in time. so you can consider that too. so check the mobo for corroded solders and components. anyways, since you opened it up, assemble it but stripped down. No drives included. if you can remove the WiFi, modem and RAM and test if you get power. also if you can swap the RAM and the keyboard with a known working one.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

I do have other laptops to pillage, but they are different models and brands. Are the keyboard and other connectors compatible? As far a the Coke spill, there appears to be no damage at all; there was just a small amount of sticky stuff that I was able to wash away with alcohol. Would the lack of a keyboard prevent the LEDs from lighting? Also, what is the best way to determine if the motherboard is dead? Thanks, Russ
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

i doubt if keyboards from other brands/models would fit. to answer your question on the best way to test if the mobo is defective, IMHO i think is to swap it with a working one.
Closed Thread
Gear in this thread