Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Dell Inspiron 2200 Intermittent issues Booting

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron 2200 Intermittent issues Booting within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys, got a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop that I got out of storage. It has been sitting for a few years untouched. I actually need it now and need it to work.

When I first started it up, it worked fine but was very slow and cluttered with files. I barely tested it at all, and reformatted it almost immediately after starting it up for the first time in many years. The only problem at that time was that it was slow and the DVD RW drive was stuck, and could only be manually opened, but it still recognized a Music CD I had in there.

After reformatting, it won't recognize the DVD RW drive at all, and it won't start up without either asking me to choose between two Windows XP versions (one works the other doesn't) or it won't even give me an option and just say there aren't any bootable devices.

This is very confusing to me, as I know the basics to computers but this is a bit beyond me. This also warrants more details as to what symptoms I am having so here are the laptop's symptoms:

1) It initially worked fine prior to reformatting except for the DVD RW drive ejecting properly since it was stuck closed. I could only manually open it with a pin. After reformatting, it now gives issues with recognizing bootable devices and the DVD RW drive. It was able to recognize the DVD RW drive before since it had a music CD in it, now it can not recognize the DVD RW drive at all.
2) The DVD RW drive will not open unless you manually eject it with a pin
3) Whenever I start the laptop by pressing the actual power button on the laptop, it will give you two options of Windows XP to run. If you pick the top one, it will work and take you to Windows XP. If you pick the bottom one, it will not load. It will say “Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.”
4) When restarting (vs using the power button to start) the laptop, it will simply say “No bootable devices—strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility.” If you press F1 it just repeats the error message and if you press F2 and enter setup and go to Device info in the blue screen… the “Primary Hard Drive” and “Modular Bay Device” both say “{none}”
5) When you do pick the top Windows XP choice when starting the laptop using the power button, the laptop will work as if there are no problems except for not being able to recognize the DVD RW drive.
6) For some reason, if you turn off the laptop completely instead of rebooting/restarting…and then turn it back on by pressing the power button, it takes you to the proper screen where you can choose between the two XP versions. But if you restart it, it will not give you the option of the two XP versions and will say “No bootable devices—strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility.”

I'm not so concerned about the stuck DVD RW drive right now. The things I want to get working is to get it to start normally without having to ask me to pick between two XP operating systems or saying there are no bootable devices. I would also need to get it to recognize my DVD RW drive. Please help me, I really need this laptop to work, I will be so grateful.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi lets try to solve the boot issue when you reinstalled win xp it would appear you did not format the drive then install and that may have been the cause of the non booting xp possibly not quite enough space on the hard drive,I suggest you boot to the bios try tapping the delete key on booting then once in the bios set the cd\dvd drive as first boot device insert the disc use F10 to save and exit and boot from the disc see here for further steps Windows XP Clean Installation
I have also linked below the user manual and service manual
this is the drivers page Drivers & Downloads | Dell United States

Documentation

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply joeten! This is what I ended up doing when I got home from work. I remembered that when I had first tried fixing the DVD RW drive that I had removed the DVD RW drive and then put it back in. Then I thought, maybe I did not seat it properly. So I took it back out and pushed it back in. After this, the laptop now recognizes the DVD RW drive and I could boot from it simply by pressing F12 at start up and it would prompt me to boot from the DVD RW drive which I did. I then wanted to delete the partitions that were made to install a fresh copy of XP. One partition only had 8MB and was said to be unpartitioned, the other had about 57224 MB. It would only let me delete the bigger partition, then it made them into one partition of 57232 MB and labeled it as unpartitioned space. I then went to format it with the NTFS file system method (the long way, not the quick way). It is currently formatting, and I hope that will solve my booting issues. If it does not, I will have to attempt to fix it again. Hopefully, once formatted, the only issue I will have left is the DVD RW drive not ejecting unless I manually eject it with a pin.

Is it easy to repair a DVD RW drive that has lost its ability to eject? I know they are cheap on ebay, but was hoping I could just fix it now rather than wait for a new drive. Plus the DVD RW drive works fine, just won't eject automatically.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi did you check the runners it may not be seated correctly on them

Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

I don't know how to check the runners. I believe it is seated properly though since it is working except for ejecting.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi if it is not ejecting then it is most likely something physical and since you can remove it you can inspect for problems Troubleshooting a DVD Player on a Laptop | eHow.com
video here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ch...w=1366&bih=578

Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

Awesome, thanks bud, much appreciated:)
Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Your welcome