Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell Inspiron 1525 Beeping

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  BCCOMP 
#1 ·
My Dell Inspiron 1525 has started beeping when i start it up and no longer detects my internal hard drive. The beeping is in sets of 3, with two low beeps and one high beep.
I was running windows 7 on my computer
Does anyone have any idea of what's going on?

Thanks

#2 ·
It is hard to tell sometimes, but were any of those beeps a series of short beeps, like in a burst?

Also, is there any display when you turn on the computer?

#3 ·
it starts up as normal, but after the dell screen it just says
'internal'
'No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility, Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.'

i tried booting through a windows xp cd, so that I could run recovery console and possibly format the hard drive, but it doesn't detect the hard drive at all.

I opened up the computer and unplugged the hard drive and plugged it back in. no effect.

The whole thing started when i was on firefox, then it just froze suddenly with no warning. I then rebooted the computer and now I'm here.

I wouldn't say that the beeps are in bursts but it's like 3 beeps in a little more than a second. 2 low and then 1 high.

#5 ·
It sounds like your hard drive might have failed. Press F5 to run diagnostics and let the machine go through it's diagnostic tests.

#7 ·
ok, i removed the memory modules and plugged them back in.
I also ran the onboard diagnostics.
half way through the test I got an error message.

Error Code 0141
Msg: Error Code 2000-0141
Msg: Hard Drive - No drive detected

everything else looks fine.
I'm wondering if I just get a new hard drive, would that fix the problem?
and would there be a way to extract the files off of my old hard drive?

#8 ·
its your harddrive try getting another hard drive and plugging that one in and ur best option would be to install windows 7 on a new hard drive log on to an account and try to access ur old hard drive how old is the pc? and post the specs

#9 ·
and post the specs
It's a laptop.

Hello again,

Yes, your next course of action is to replace the hard drive, but first...

Try "reseating" the hard drive. This requires you to, physically remove the HDD and re-install it. This will rule out a bad connection.

#11 ·
I agree it is the hard drive, but is the computer under warranty?

Can you PM me your service tag?
This will allow me to see if it is.
Or you can yourself here:
http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs
To the left click on System Configuration and enter your Service Tag

As far as saving the info on the "old" drive (if it can be) you have a couple of choices.

To save some money get the new drive and load the OS yourself

Then you can take the laptop with the new drive installed and loaded with an OS (win7) to a computer shop. See if they can slave the "old" drive and get the info off it (no gaurantee).

If you wish to do it yourself (no gaurantee) you will need a 2.5 USB (Sata) enclosure:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._to_Sata/IDE_enclosure-_-17-348-021-_-Product

or one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=USB_to_IDE/SATA-_-12-816-014-_-Product

These are just an example

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.