Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell inspiron 11 3000 won't load OS, device Driver missing!

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  pclaptop 
#1 ·
I have a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 (3168, Tag GS5B0C2) that will not allow the re-installation of Win7 or win10 OS. I have tried all combination of the BIOS Legacy/UEFI - Secure boot (OFF) settings, along with the USB boot memsticks having multiple different versions of Win7 and Win10.

I have even loaded Linux/GPart on to a USB memstick, booted into Linux Gparted and wipe the hard drive clean.

This laptop was given to me because someone, prior to me, had done "something" and it would not boot whatsoever or respond to any keystrokes other than Bios setup(F2) and boot order (F12), and I would get an on screen display of either generic DOS "No boot device" message or a Dell message saying "No boot device"!

As it stands with the hard drive wiped, and a bootable USB memstick loaded with either Win 7 OR WIN 10, the installation process proceeds normally right up to the point where you choose your OS install hard drive and then an error message is displayed that says "A required drive device driver is missing" that does not appear to be on either version (Win7 or Win10) of the bootable USB memstick.

So how do I acquire/supply/provide that driver during either installation process? A second USB drive? and where do I get that driver from?

See attached pics ..

thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Mastercheif that doesn't work either see pics . . .

OK, info update. I opened this machine up and there is NO HDD or SSD in this unit, just a permanently mounted 32gb MMC chip from Sandisk.

I d/led a couple Dell suggested file(s), in (f6flpy-x64.zip) extracted those 6 files to 2nd USB and chose that 2nd USB memstick when Win7/10 install stopped and asked for drivers for the on-board mmc 29gb device. What seems to be the drivers and driver install program starts~stops, and still Win7/10 will not install to the 29gb MMC drive!

If the Sandisk MMC 29gb drive is configured as UEFI, and the Win OS install isn't recognizing it because BIOS isn't controlling it, AND I change BIOS from Legacy to UEFI to control it, then this Dell won't boot from the (non-UEFI) USB memstick(win7 or the Win10)!

I don't think the installation medium(CD/DVD vs USB) is the problem. It's Dells screwy idea for a hard drive (Sandisk/MMC) that needs special(?) drivers to be recognized by the Win OS!

Attachments

#5 ·
Apologize Masterchief, for blurry pic, i cant do a screen shot, and used my cell which also adds some moire! it is 29 gb though.

Windows total install is 14gb and with necessary utilities goes to 21-22 gb.

updated info . . .

The problem lies with WHATEVER OS I try to install with!

The OS (Win10 or Win7, UEFI or LEGACY) it needs to access the "MMC 32gb" chip as a hard drive. I shot an email off to Sandisk (mfr of the MMC32gb Chip) and they say it was specially made for Dell and they cannot/will not supply the driver to me!

From Sandisk . . . "You have reached the SanDisk retail support department. The product you are referring to is an OEM product sold directly to top tier laptop manufacturers only. We do not have any retail enduser support for this product. All technical support for this product is provided directly from the laptop manufacturers. Unfortunately, our retail products support team will not be able to assist you with this concern. You will need to contact the laptop manufacturer for assistance. Thank you for choosing Sandisk! Best regards, James SanDisk @ Global Customer Care"

And here is another bite in the butt, Win10 UEFI installstill won't install without the MMC driver (I was beginning to think it was a No-Win7 OS thing, but that not the case either as in the Google supplied links below you will see successful win7 installs!)

the google links . . .

How to remove Windows 8 and install Windows 7 on a Dell inspiron 7000 series laptop – Pinter Computing
How To Install Windows 7 Pro Dell Inspiron 11 3000 With Complete Drivers ~ HiwayPark Blog
Windows 7 Pro on Inspiron 11 3000 - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

This site had the Windows 10 upgrade fail as well due to a device driver missing!
"The Windows 10 installer wouldn’t recognize the SSD. It kept on asking for drivers."

https://www.experts-exchange.com/qu...10-again-on-Dell-Inspiron-11-3000-Series.html

Thanks for your help, for $150.00 price tag on this Dell 11-3000, I'm think I'm going to recommend to my donating friend to buy something OTHER than a Dell especially something with MORE than a 32 gb Hard Drive!! What was Dell thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.