Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

cursor bounces around while i'm typing

This is a discussion on cursor bounces around while i'm typing within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. While I am typing, the cursor on my week-old laptop will suddenly move to another line, another paragraph, wherever it

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

While I am typing, the cursor on my week-old laptop will suddenly move to another line, another paragraph, wherever it wants to go. It is not the result of my thumbs brushing the touchpad--I've tested that by covering it to prevent brushing it.

This is my third laptop, and the third one with a bouncing cursor. My first, a Toshiba, had quite a bouncy cursor. My Vaio had only occasional problems. This one, a Fujitsu, is a real champion at the bouncing-around thing. At times, it's like I had given a command--Vista will pop in and ask me if I really want to do such and such a thing. Sometimes, copy will end up highlighted, with no reason.

My daughter has a bouncing cursor on her laptop, as well.

Any solutions? Any explanations? This is really frustrating.

Thanks for any and all ideas/suggestions.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Hi, and welcome to TSF!

The best option is to disable "Tap to click" in the touchpad setup. I have seen this problem many, many times (I have experienced it myself as well), and this always fixes it.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you--I think. I have turned off the tap feature under mouse properties, but won't really know if that's the solution until I've done some heavy-duty typing. So far, though--with very little typing having been done--all is fine.

Again, thanks.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Glad to help. Post back if you have any other issues or if you think its fixed.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

I think I am having this same problem too. I'll be typing, and the curser will just jump to another place (usually the same line but not always...somewhere back into the middle of a word or sentence I just typed)...but WHERE IS touchpad setup? I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop and Windows XP. Thanks for replying!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

You can also use TouchFreeze

Closed Thread