Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Cost to Fix Broken Fan

This is a discussion on Cost to Fix Broken Fan within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I'm new, so I'm sorry if there's already a thread on this, but how much would it cost for

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I'm new, so I'm sorry if there's already a thread on this, but how much would it cost for me to get a broken fan fixed on my laptop (I heard labor is the bulk of the cost, so how much on average is the labor?)? I have a Compaq Presario R3050 (a little over two years old). Is it easy to fix this problem, and how much will it cost? (I'm looking to ask a friend or my cousin- both pretty good with computers but I don't know if they've ever fixed a laptop before.)

Thanks, and sorry if my question's kind of lame.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to laboye Send a message via MSN to laboye Send a message via Yahoo to laboye Send a message via Skype™ to laboye
Hi and welcome to TSF. No question is lame, but some are answered. This one in particular is not.

In order for an estimate to be made, we must know the nature of the damage. If you need a new fan, eBaying or Froogle could find it.

Crazy Computer that I'm saving up for::Antec P180 Case;PC Pwr&Cooling 1kW Quad SLI PSU;Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe;Intel Core2 XE X6800;Corsair TWIN2XP2048 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM;2xAsus GeForce 7950 GX2;BFG PhysX Accel.;IBM DVD-RAM/Plextor DVD±RW;Seagate 750GB HD 7200RPM;WDX 150GB 10000RPM;Vigor Monsoon TEC Cooler
Old 07-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

As Laboye said, try searching around for the part number. Fans, even on laptops, usually aren't that hard to replace (usually just open up a panel on the bottom of the laptop and swap fans). However, prices range all over the place.
For instance, my dad had to replace the fan on my mom's Toshiba laptop, and the fan was about $60 and that didn't even cover labor!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll look into that. Hopefully the part isn't too expensive, and I can get somebody I know to do the labor.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to laboye Send a message via MSN to laboye Send a message via Yahoo to laboye Send a message via Skype™ to laboye
The thing is many laptops use a simple plug-in Fan that just securely rests on the heat sink and many use an entire custom fan assembly with 2 fans and channeled sinks. These obviously cost more than the standard fans. This is also your case...

Crazy Computer that I'm saving up for::Antec P180 Case;PC Pwr&Cooling 1kW Quad SLI PSU;Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe;Intel Core2 XE X6800;Corsair TWIN2XP2048 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM;2xAsus GeForce 7950 GX2;BFG PhysX Accel.;IBM DVD-RAM/Plextor DVD±RW;Seagate 750GB HD 7200RPM;WDX 150GB 10000RPM;Vigor Monsoon TEC Cooler
Closed Thread