Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

corrupted video driver Nvidia

This is a discussion on corrupted video driver Nvidia within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I suddenly received a message that my video driver file (Nwiz) was corrupted and the screen changed to a

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I suddenly received a message that my video driver file (Nwiz) was corrupted and the screen changed to a garble of colors and lines. I now can only view the screen in safe mode and even at theat is is most unclear with a lot of vertical lines.
I ahve deleted the video driver from the system in device manager and let it reinstall it automatically upon start up to no avail. I have also downloaded fresh direver from the toshiba site also with no change. Perhaps I am not installing it correctly.

I have a Toshiba laptop with a Nvidia Geoforce 460 ( Toshiba) video driver.
In safe mode I cannot I cannot access the internet, email etc. This has crippled my dailly work.

Thanks for your help

Old 07-07-2006, 06:58 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to cjschaf
Go to NVidia's website and download the newest driver from there

Old 07-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Dear cjschaf,

I originally did that on my own, and then deletd the old file in device manager allowing windows to request the new driver automatically and re-install it.... all to no avail. Any other ideas?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

delete the card in the device manager
reboot tapping f8 and choose vga mode
when windows finishes rebooting and reinstalling the card
disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer
Old 07-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

Dear Dai,
Thanks for your response. I have one question.. I am not sure I understand what you mean disable a/virus.. Can you be more specific.
Thanks,

Kim
\
Old 07-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

a/v can corrupt the install of video and sound drivers,so when you install right click on the a/v icon in your taskbar and choose disable before installing the drivers
it will auto renable on the reboot
Old 07-07-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Registered Member

Dear Dai,

I just got through the process of startup using VGA , but about halfway through waiting for all the icons in my taskbar to show up so I could diable Norton a/v
my screen started to go black and is now completely black... I guess changing to vga won't work. The only possibility I have to see anything on the screen is in safe mode. Any other solutions??

Thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

try it from safe mode,but don't let windows install it's drivers
when it asks click no
Old 07-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
Registered Member

O.K. I have deleted the original driver from device manager then installed the new drivers which I had previously downloaded, and let the computer restart normally. It came up with Windows has found new hardware. I let it install it automatically. I am now open but in what looks like a vga mode ( the icons are huge) but I still have vertical lines running all across my screen that fluctuate in color . I went to display the change the setting to 1200 X 1600 and now I have a black screen with sporadic wider white lines flasing, it is unreadable...
Perhaps I did something out of order?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have you d/loaded the correct driver,check the toshiba site for it
Old 07-07-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
Registered Member

Dear Dai,
I beleive so. That is where I got t from originally. I will go back and look again, and let you know.
Thanks
Old 07-08-2006, 07:59 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hi Dai,

Yes, it is the correct file, but unfortunately I am not having any sucess at all. Is it possible it is another video file or something like that? Currently I can only see the screen in safe mode and cannot use vga, connect to the internet or anything else. Even in safe mode I have lines running vertically all over the screen. My screen in safe mode is a 640 X 480 more or less and will not change. The laptop is design for 1200 X 1600 I beleive.

Fortunately I have another computer on which I can at least get on the internet, but all my files are on the Toshiba

I hope you have some other ideas. Thanks for your help so far,I do appreciate it and hope we can find a solution.

regards.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:29 AM   #13
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

suaspect card or the chip.i'll move you to laptops they will have a better idea
Old 07-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to laboye Send a message via MSN to laboye Send a message via Yahoo to laboye Send a message via Skype™ to laboye
You can connect to the internet by booting it in "Safe Mode with Networking".

Download the Toshiba Drivers and extract them (it might install by itself). They will (should) be in a folder called Video.temp directly in the C: drive.

When Toshiba installs drivers, the installer automatically uninstalls the system driver and replaces it with the one you just installed. If you still have problems, update the driver through Device Manager and tell it to use Windows Update (you'd be surprised how many drivers it has). Choose advanced and click next. Click browse and choose the folder that the driver was extracted to (video.temp/video.tos). Accept the defaults and make sure it installs either the driver from Windows update, or the one from the folder.
Crazy Computer that I'm saving up for::Antec P180 Case;PC Pwr&Cooling 1kW Quad SLI PSU;Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe;Intel Core2 XE X6800;Corsair TWIN2XP2048 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM;2xAsus GeForce 7950 GX2;BFG PhysX Accel.;IBM DVD-RAM/Plextor DVD±RW;Seagate 750GB HD 7200RPM;WDX 150GB 10000RPM;Vigor Monsoon TEC Cooler
Old 07-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #15
Registered Member

Hi Laboye,

I canot seem to get to the windows update. Each time I dlete the old driver in device manager it does indeed reappear, but I cannot seem to get it to ask me to search for a driver.

Also, I ahve hooked up an outside monitot to make sure it is not my laptop screen and I get exactly the same problem on the crt monitor.

I did notice I cannot switch from the lcd screen to tgeh crt monitor at all. Perhaps the hotkey driver is corrupted?

thanks ..
Old 07-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #16
Registered Member

Hi again do you think my bios could ahve a problem , if so how to I upgrade it?

thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to laboye Send a message via MSN to laboye Send a message via Yahoo to laboye Send a message via Skype™ to laboye
I am compelled into thinking it is a driver problem. Open Device manager and right click the display adapter and click Update Driver.

(make sure you have booted in Safe Mode with Networking: When asked, click "Yes, this time only", click next. Click "Install from a list or specific location", click next. Be sure "Include this location in search:" is checked. Click Browse. Browse out to C: and select the folder "video.tosh" or "video.temp" or anything that looks like it. Click next. The wizard should search for drivers online and through the folder. Whichever one it 'beleives' is correct, it will install. Since you chose advanced, you may get the opportunity to shoose which driver to install. For the option, choose the one from Windows Update. If it's not available, use the one in the video directory.
Crazy Computer that I'm saving up for::Antec P180 Case;PC Pwr&Cooling 1kW Quad SLI PSU;Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe;Intel Core2 XE X6800;Corsair TWIN2XP2048 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM;2xAsus GeForce 7950 GX2;BFG PhysX Accel.;IBM DVD-RAM/Plextor DVD±RW;Seagate 750GB HD 7200RPM;WDX 150GB 10000RPM;Vigor Monsoon TEC Cooler
Old 07-11-2006, 07:23 AM   #18
Registered Member

Hi Laboye,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortuantely I am still in the muck. I have deleted the driver and reinstalled a fresh one which I had downloaded, but to no avail. I tried to have it go directly to the internet, but I cannot seem to get that to work. That being said I am sure it copied and installed the new driver from the location, but nothing has changed. Boy is this frustrating !
best,

KBragg
Old 07-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #19
Registered Member

Hi Laboye,

I had hoped to send you a positive update, because my screen came back ...completely ...out of nowhere, but it only lasted about 8 minutes. Then I received a message that was similar to the original one, but this time was NV4 disp display driver has stopped working normally etc.... and then it went to black screen, and now I can only use safe mode againwith all the vertical lines etc. Does this incident provide any new clues?

best

KB
Old 07-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I really don't know. This is a good one. In "safe mode with networking", do you have internet access at all?

Closed Thread