Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Computer starts fast, then slows down. WHY?

This is a discussion on Computer starts fast, then slows down. WHY? within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a dell latitude and whenever you shutdown/restart the computer, for the first 30 seconds to 1 minute it

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

I have a dell latitude and whenever you shutdown/restart the computer, for the first 30 seconds to 1 minute it runs very well with little to no noise. It opens web pages quick as a flash within those 30secs-1min after you turn it on. However, after the 30secs-1min, you can hear the fan start moving and things inside the computer start working, and then it is drastically slower. What is causing this? It lags up video games and makes web pages take a while to load.
Thanks a bunch

Old 03-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

seems to me you have an overheating problem maybe you should try using a can of compressed air and blowing out the vents and the fan area well ...and see how that works maybe something else causing the overheating but usually its just got poor cooling for some reason....post back with results and more things to try...

Old 03-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

It sounds like something is overheating and the fans are increasing their speed to try and keep the temperatures under control.

Run SpeedFan when the computer starts to get loud, and post back with all the temperatures and voltages.

Open the case and blow a can of compressed air around the motherboard slots, heatsink and fans. If there's a buildup of dust, this will cause the temperatures to rise to the point where they affect performance.

Are you using a cooling pad under the laptop?

btw, I've deleted your other 2 identical posts in the other forums which are not needed.

EDIT: sorry louge1953, I didn't see your reply there. Great minds think alike
Old 03-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Not sure what you mean by SpeedFan. The vents arent being blocked or anything and the computer doesn't feel hot. Could it be just because not all the programs/processes have started in the first 30s-1min and then when they start my ram is used up? (only 512 ram)
Old 03-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

SpeedFan is a program that monitors your computer's temperatures and voltages. Click the link in my last post to download it.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

1. Would overheating cause performence to fall drastically?
2. Could it be due to low RAM and the processes take 30s-1m to start up then the fan is needed to compensate for more programs running and using up the memory? thanks and I couldn't figure out where to find volt and fan speed in SpeedFan but it said my comp was 40 degrees celsius. Would cleaning with compressed air make a noticable difference? And im not using a cooling pad.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

1. Yes, overheating can cause slowdown, lag and crashes. It's one of the major causes of computer problems. If the fans are speeding up, that means they are trying to cool something down. Run SpeedFan and post back with the temperatures and voltages so we can see what we're working with. They are listed under the Readings tab, which should be the tab that you see by default. See pic below. If SpeedFan doesn't show all the temperatures, use SensorsView instead.

2. 512mb RAM is quite low for XP. 1 or 2GB would be better. Cleaning with compressed air would lower the temperatures if there is any dust inside the computer. A cooling pad should be used on all laptops.