Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Computer Is Making Weird Noises.

This is a discussion on Computer Is Making Weird Noises. within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First of all, thanks for reading this. Second of all here is the problem. My computer is making weird noises.

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

First of all, thanks for reading this. Second of all here is the problem. My computer is making weird noises. 2 of which I can remember but I think thats all there is. The first is a... boinging sound I guess, like a spring. The other is a cat thats not so much meowing as screeching. It's coming from the speakers (Dell Studio 15 Laptop) and has only started in the past few days. I think it might be coming from my Windows Live Messenger because I have Messenger Plus installed. If anyone can help or provide some help or anything really, it would be greatly appreciated. If any more information is needed just let me know and I will get it asap

Edit :: I wasn't sure where to put this thread so here was the only place I saw that seemed to loosely fit. I'm sorry if I put it in the wrong place

Old 03-11-2009, 03:53 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi I would try an uninstall and reinstall of the sound card drivers. Go to start search and type devmgmt.msc. Right click on your sound card and select uninstall, this removes reference from the registry it does not remove the drivers (you do not want to do that) and reboot ,the device will be reinstalled. If this does not work you may need to go to your sound card manufacturers site and download the latest drivers.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi I would try an uninstall and reinstall of the sound card drivers. Go to start search and type devmgmt.msc. Right click on your sound card and select uninstall, this removes reference from the registry it does not remove the drivers (you do not want to do that) and reboot ,the device will be reinstalled. If this does not work you may need to go to your sound card manufacturers site and download the latest drivers.
Thank you =] I will try that now, and if it doesn't work then i'll repost. but thank you for the idea :D And I also found something out, it only happens if the computer is idle. If a movie is playing and I'm not typing anything or moving the mouse it'll make the cat noise, other than that it's good. And considering i fall asleep to a video of Bill Maher... a nuisance
Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Actually I tried that, tried downloading the latest Software. I uninstalled Messenger Plus, nothing worked. It's still making the sounds and its annoying because I have to wear headphones and the volume of the noises are 10x the volume of the rest of the computer so it scares the bejeezus out of me. Thank you for the idea tho, have any others? >_<
Old 03-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

!!! YES!!! I found out what makes the noise. I had noticed that when the noise goes off a small icon pops up in the system tray. It was a blue square with two big F's and a smaller A. I managed to right click it and it says FFDSHOW Audio Decoder. Anyone know what to do now? O_O And what the ruddy bollocks that program thingy is? Please n thanks :D
Old 03-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, as it says it is an audio decoder and most likely you have files associated with it and another program, thats what causes the interference go to the audio properties of FFDSHow and deselect ALL files associated with it.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hi, I used to have the same problem. A few days ago some weird noise (like a chime) started to play on my PC. It was seemed to play randomly and for a short moment. At the same time an icon was showing up in the taskbar and was dissapearing right after the sound ended. It was ffdshow audio decoder icon. I disabled the icon through ffdshow settings, even complately uninstalled ffdshow, the strange sound kept on popping. I tried to look at the taskbar when the sound plays, but nothing unfamiliar showed up on the programs list. Even monitoring the running processes with the procmon utility, I couldn't find anything unfamiliar. You know, the sound really made me paranoid :) I wondered if my PC was effected by adware, spyware, trojan or virus. Somehow later I discovered that, the weird chime sound was caused by my digital clock widget at every hour :) I must be getting too old for realising that :) I had installed it with the Yahoo Widgets a few days ago.

A program or something you did installed in recent days should cause those strange sounds, try to remember. And be careful, it can be a spyware too...