Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Compaq Presario V5000 USB Problem

This is a discussion on Compaq Presario V5000 USB Problem within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a Compaq Presario V5000 and the USB Ports are not working. I tried plugging in a usb

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario V5000 and the USB Ports are not working. I tried plugging in a usb flash drive to upload some pictures but the computer was unable to detect the flash drive. I also tried usb mouse and keyboard but none were recognized. I did not even get a pop up message by the task bar

What diagnoses and solutions are there for this problem?

Old 03-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF start by looking in device manager are there any error flags IE yellow ! or red X's next to the usb controller ? also have you tried uninstalling all the usb drivers and rebooting windows should reinstall on reboot

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi and welcome to TSF start by looking in device manager are there any error flags IE yellow ! or red X's next to the usb controller ? also have you tried uninstalling all the usb drivers and rebooting windows should reinstall on reboot
There are no error flags or red X's and I have tried the drivers as well but still cannot recognize.
I brought it to a technician and they told me that this version of Compaq laptops have this problem. It is a manufacturer's defect. The only way to fix it would be to change out the USB Ports/get a new motherboard.

Is this true?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

do any of the contacts look damaged

in the device manager click on view at the top and in the dropdown
show hidden devices
then uninstall all listed usb items
turn the computer off
unplug usb plugs
reboot twice
replug in the usb plugs

if this does not fix sometimes a cmos reset does
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi this is the service manual it list all the parts http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00700903.pdf you could google the part number and see if it is practical to replace having had a google on the issue it seems quite common

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread