Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Compaq Presario F500 Won't Boot - Help Please!

This is a discussion on Compaq Presario F500 Won't Boot - Help Please! within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all, I hope you can help. I have a Compaq Presario F500 with Windows Vista Installed. This evening I

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all,

I hope you can help.

I have a Compaq Presario F500 with Windows Vista Installed.
This evening I was working on the computer with a laptop fan plugged into one USB and a Jump Drive plugged into the other. I used the Remove Device to remove the jump drive and everything looked fine. I came back a bit later and the screen was black, but all of the power lights were on. I pushed the power button until the computer turned off and then pushed it again to restart it. (did I mention the battery is in and the computer is plugged in?) All that happens is all the power lights, network lights, DVD lights go on. The DVD drive makes the typical single or double click that it always makes when booting, the fan powers up for just a second, the lights stay on for a few seconds and then they flash off and try to start again. Nothing comes up on the screen.

Here's what I've tried, in about the order that I tried it...
1) Push power button and hold down F8 just after pushing
2) Push power button and tap the F8 key for some time
3) Unplugged the power cord and tried to start it (same result)
4) Took out the batter and plugged the cord back in
5) Opened up the RAM compartment and pulled out each of the RAM sticks one at a time and tried placing them in each others slots. (every combination)
6) Pulled out the hard drive and reseated it
7) Pulled out the DVD drive and tried to start
8) Tried various combinations of the above, but can't guarantee that each possibility was hit.
9) Pulled out the battery and unplugged the cord and pushed the power button for 90 seconds. Then plugged the cord back in and tried to start.
10) Pulled out the hard drive and the battery and tried to start

All of these attempts yielded the same results. Completely blank screen (doesn't even flash), flashing or stable power lights, few DVD clicks, brief fan usage, no real sound from anything else.

For the past two weeks, the computer has locked up and the screen has gone blank about a total of 3 times requiring a restart.

What next gurus?

Thanks for your help.
9)

Old 10-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

Additional question...

When I first got the computer, it didn't come with the original Vista disks. Instead it had me create a set of 4 restore DVDs.

If your suggestion is to use these 4 DVDs, will that end up erasing my hard drive?

Old 10-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #3
Enthusiast

Turn it over and look for a Reset button. Some have them , some don't.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

Interesting... never heard of such a thing... unfortunately, there isn't one. I did find out more about a Kingston lock slot (since I didn't know what that was I had to look it up to make sure that wasn't the reset)
Old 10-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Registered Member

Found my answer. It's broke.

I contacted HP customer support via chat and they tried to troubleshoot (for free which is nice). Near the end he said that it was a hardware problem and that it would require onsite support.

Luckily, I had done a bit of research first and found an article put out by HP explaining that this was an issue that could be expected with these computers and that they had an extended warranty for this specific issue (2 years past the typical 1 year).

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3441671

I brought this to the dude's attention and he looked into it and verified it and is currently getting me set up to send the laptop in for free and get it repaired for free. It has something to do with the integrated power supply... now... one last question. Will 3rd party RAM void this warranty?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Registered Member

I have the same problem. Found this information on HP website

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...mary&dfmt=fy08

First session with HP online tech October 6, 2008:
Roger St-Onge : PC boot with black screen
[An agent will be with you shortly.]
[You are now chatting with Ralph .]
Roger St-Onge : hi
Ralph : Hello Roger.
Ralph : Welcome to HP Total Care.
Ralph : Could you elaborate the issue?
Roger St-Onge : Laptop is booting with black sreen
Roger St-Onge : screen
Roger St-Onge : Are you aware of this :
Roger St-Onge : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...mary&dfmt=fy08
Roger St-Onge : Problem started a few weeks ago
Ralph : Let me check the weblink that you have provided.
Roger St-Onge : ok
Roger St-Onge : This week-end cd failed
Roger St-Onge : Tonight it`s not booting at all
Roger St-Onge : Went to Future shop but told me it was not on warranty anymore...Laptop is just over 1 year...I`m very disapoited..
Ralph : Alright.
Ralph : Roger, have you performed any troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue?
Roger St-Onge : What can i do?
Ralph : You may try the power drain procedure, I will provide the steps.
Ralph : Before that, Could you please provide me the Serial Number (eg: CNS34915MC) and Product Number (eg:DS542U) of your Notebook? You may find that on a sticker attached to the underside of the Notebook.
Roger St-Onge : sn:cnf7262fk0
Roger St-Onge : pn: gl935ua ABC
Ralph : Thank you for the information.
Roger St-Onge : welcome
Ralph : Following are the steps to perform the power drain procedure, this procedure removes the static charges present on the notebook.
Ralph : 1. Disconnect the AC Adapter.
2. Remove the Battery.
3. Hold the Power button down for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Reconnect the AC adapter and reinsert the Battery.
5. Turn on the Notebook power.
Ralph : Let me know the result after performing the above steps?
Roger St-Onge : Is
Roger St-Onge : It`s doing the same....power is on with black screen
Ralph : Are the leds on the notebook glowing?
Roger St-Onge : no they are on solid
Roger St-Onge : Looks like the one for the hard drive don`t even blink...
Ralph : Okay, have you connected the notebook to the external monitor?
Roger St-Onge : no
Ralph : Alright, I will provide the steps to do the same.
Ralph : 1. Shutdown the system and make sure that the external monitor is turned off.
2. Connect the external monitor to the video port on the back of the unit and verify that it is connected to a power source.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the system.
5. Wait until Windows is fully loaded so that the video driver can properly initialize the added device.

Ralph : NOTE: If there is no video on the monitor, hit FN+F4 or FN+F5 to try to toggle the

video. Compare both displays and look for the symptoms on the external monitor.

Roger St-Onge : I don`t have another monitor at home
Ralph : Okay.
Ralph : Not a problem.
Ralph : Could you turn on the notebook again and tap f10 key continuosly and let me know if you could enter into the BIOS?
Roger St-Onge : ok..give me a min
Ralph : Sure, take your own time.
Roger St-Onge : sorry it`s not doing anything...lights are on...that`s it
Roger St-Onge : Their is a little blue light on over the mouse pad..like a little laptop..
Roger St-Onge : And it looks like it rebooting all the time
Ralph : Could you see anything on the screen when you press f10?
Roger St-Onge : no
Roger St-Onge : Power goes on and off all the time
Roger St-Onge : Looks like it`s stuck in a loop
Ralph : Roger, I suspect the issue is with the hardware of the notebook so it must be serviced, with your permission I would like to arrange a mail in repair service for your notebbok.
Roger St-Onge : Will it be under the warrant?
Roger St-Onge : ops...warranty...
Ralph : As your notebook is covered under one time enhancement service plan, it will be a free service.
Roger St-Onge : The link I`ve send you earlier...is it valid?
Ralph : Please provide the following shipping information:

* Name:
* Organization:
* Mailing Address (No P.O. Boxes):
* Apartment/Building/Mailstop:
* City:
* State/Province:
* Zip/Postal Code:
* Phone Number (including area code):
* Pre-installed operating system:
Ralph : Yes, it is valid one.
Ralph : Thank you for the information.
Ralph : Let me explain the procedure of the mailin repair service:
Ralph : In this process, we would send you an empty Notebook box to your mailing address. Once you receive the box, you need to call up your local Fedex and arrange for the box pickup at your convenient time. They would pickup the Notebook from your place and send it to HP for repair. Once your Notebook gets repaired at HP, it would be returned to your mailing address.
Ralph : I recommend you to back up all the personal data and do not send any exteranl devices with the notebook including battery and the power adapter.
Roger St-Onge : ok...
Ralph : You may use the following weblink for making the backup:
Ralph : http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255-5160538-1.html
Ralph : NOTE: However, this will take you to a third party site. HP does not control or administer the content published on this site.
Roger St-Onge : ok. thanks
Ralph : Roger, as soon as the case is created you will recieve an email that contains a service order number.
Roger St-Onge : ok. thanks
Ralph : You may use this for tracking the status of the notebook.
Ralph : Roger, do you have any other queries?
Roger St-Onge : No, your help is very appreciated
Roger St-Onge : Thanks a lot
Ralph : The courier service may be either fedex or ups.
Ralph : Thank you for contacting HP Total Care Real-Time chat support. If you need further assistance, please contact us again at: http://www.hp.com/support/chat. Chat support is available 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
Ralph : Have a nice time!
Ralph : Bye!
Roger St-Onge : bye

Second session with HP online tech October 14, 2008:
Roger St-Onge : Still waiting for HP to send me box
[An agent will be with you shortly.]
[You are now chatting with Sylvia .]
Sylvia : Hello Roger.
Sylvia : Welcome to HP Total Care for US Notebooks.
Roger St-Onge : sorry lost the previous session
Sylvia : Not a problem, please go ahead with your query.
Roger St-Onge : Was wondering when HP will send me the box for sending the laptop for repair
Roger St-Onge : This is my infosn:cnf7262fk0
pn: gl935ua ABC
Sylvia : ti1
Sylvia : Thank you for the information provided.
Sylvia : Letm e check for the details.
Roger St-Onge : ok...
Sylvia : Do you have the CSO number with you?
Roger St-Onge : What is a CSO number?
Sylvia : Did you set up the mail-in service through the Chat support?
Roger St-Onge : Yes
Roger St-Onge : Do want me to send you the session I had with the HP tech?
Roger St-Onge : I was chatting with Ralph
Sylvia : Not a problem, I am checking in my database.
Sylvia : Are you from Canada?
Roger St-Onge : yes
Sylvia : Thank you for your time.
Sylvia : Roger, we see that the notebook warranty has expired on 07/17/2008
Sylvia : As the notebook is out of warranty, the box was not shiopped to you.
Roger St-Onge : The problem I have is related to this:
Roger St-Onge : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...mary&dfmt=fy08
Roger St-Onge : This is what the tech reply to me on the first time:
Roger St-Onge : Ralph : As your notebook is covered under one time enhancement service plan, it will be a free service.
Sylvia : Roger, we see your notebook is not falling under the One Time Service Enhancement./
Sylvia : That is the reason, the mail-in box was not shipped.
Sylvia : I am really sorry, Roger.
Sylvia : I just now checked the One Time Service Enhancement is not covered by your notebook.
Roger St-Onge : A good thing I have kept my conversation with HP on the fist time..this will make a good story on the internet about HP services
Sylvia : Sorry for the wrong information provided by our previous chat technician.
Sylvia : Do you have any other queries that I can assist you with today?
Roger St-Onge : The problems I have with my laptop is what it`s in your document and my laptop is under 24 months...
Sylvia : I do really understand your concern, Roger. We are here to help you.
Roger St-Onge : This mean HP dosen`t
Sylvia : I wish I could arrange the service for free, but the database will not allow us.
Roger St-Onge : This is to bad that HP is posting false informaton on their website
Sylvia : In this regard, you can contact the Canadian Phone support.
Sylvia : There you can speak to the Manager directly and then check with them.
Roger St-Onge : ok...that`s fine

As you can see HP sucks and I will never buy their product again!!!
If you have a similar experience with HP do not hesite to share with the rest of the world.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

That sucks, but I wouldn't stop. Clearly your laptop is covered under that deal. If you typed your p/n right gl935ua. That p/n is listed on the website and your explanation clearly matches the problems on the website.

I'd contact a manager. Don't put up with that crap. If you get the "Your laptop is not covered" routine again, I'd give them the... "Really? What tells you it's not covered... the fact that I'm having the exact same symptoms as listed on the website or the fact that my p/n number is the exact same p/n number on the list of computers that are having this problem" routine.

Next time you talk with someone, look at the verbage on the website and describe your problem nearly word for word from the website.

"There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.
AND
The notebook turns on, power LEDs light up, but nothing is seen on the display.
"

Good luck! I just sent mine off today in the box that was mailed to me.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

I just talked to them today about my laptop because it was having the same issues and they had no problem sending me a box with free repairs. Sorry to hear your situation.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Registered Member

Well good news, October 17, 2008..after spending 1 hour and 15 minutes on the phone, HP finally agree to send me a box and they will fix it for free....Hummmmm I`m very septic as that`s was they told me the first time...will keep you up to date on this!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

I am so glad that I found this site. I think that the greatest invention of modern times is the search function on a computer.
I used the laptop this am and it was low on battery power. I shut down and left for the day. When I came home I plugged in and turned the laptop on.
Nothing. Some lights a little whirr and a black screen.
After reading the posts here I contacted HP and went through the steps. For an old woman I did quite well. Failed every test. Removed battery, memory and hard drive. After an hour of HP it was decided that I will be sending in the laptop for the enhanced warranty repair.
The backing up of important files seems a little impossible considering that I cannot boot up the computer and can only hope that whatever I have on the laptop has already been automatically backed up.
I will be interested to see how the folks ahead of me here fare.
I bought this computer in early July 2007. Last week the computer froze on me a few times. Did anyone else have this happen?
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
Registered Member

It took less than a week to send the computer in and have it repaired and back in my lap.
Thanks to those who helped here.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #12
Registered Member

Grin

I just experience the "no boot-up problem". Tried memory, hd, bios batt, removed peripherals, no help. Called HP tech support for the second time and they're replacing the motherboard for free per extended 24 month warranty for this known problem. My thanks to you who posted the warrenty info. The first time I called they just said tuff, my machine is past the 1 year warranty. They didn't mention the extended period. Also, the warranty for HP starts the day the item leaves assembly, not the date of purchase. Mine expired 3 months after I bought it.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:22 AM   #13
Registered Member

Good news,
Receive my laptop on October 27 2008, mother board was replace, laptop is working fine now....I`m still piss at them as I should not have to fight to get it fix in the first place!!!! Also forgot to tell you guys I`ve send a letter to Head Office and they call me back, I`ve gave them my five cents.....
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
Registered Member

Hello people,
1st let me thank the topic starter for this topic, glad I'm not the only one with this problem.
In my case, the wireless thingy stopped 1 week after the warranty expired. No problem, I still had a wireless usb thingy laying around. Last week the notebook froze a few times for no reason, and a few days ago the circle was complete when there was nothing at the screen anymore when starting up. looking at the hdd and power led's it also reboots every 20 seconds.
I've had contact with HP through chat, Email and phone and they all told me that the extended warranty doesn't apply in my case because it was an issue for European and US models. (I bought mine in Argentina..) Repair cost would be around U$400 if I was in the US, knowing the Argentinian company culture, I'm sure it will be U$600 here :-(. Needless to say I'm very disappointed in this 1000 dollar machine that broke down in less than 1.5 year!
Btw, mine is a model F505LA.

To the ones above who had their machines repaired under extended warranty, was the serial number of your notebooks on the HP site or not?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:20 AM   #15
Registered Member

hi Guys!
for those of you whose problems were solved by HP, may i ask what had been the problem with the unit? i'm currenly in the Philippines although my unit was purchased in the US. I would have to know the REAL Problem if i have to have my unit fix here in the Philippines---is it the video chip? the integrated poser supply?

dont want those HP (or others) techie guys here to tinker with the unit not knowing what they should fix in the first place. your assistance will be highly appreciated. thanks so much in advance. Happy Holidays.

jerome
Old 12-20-2008, 01:31 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmer View Post
Hello people,
1st let me thank the topic starter for this topic, glad I'm not the only one with this problem.
In my case, the wireless thingy stopped 1 week after the warranty expired. No problem, I still had a wireless usb thingy laying around. Last week the notebook froze a few times for no reason, and a few days ago the circle was complete when there was nothing at the screen anymore when starting up. looking at the hdd and power led's it also reboots every 20 seconds.
I've had contact with HP through chat, Email and phone and they all told me that the extended warranty doesn't apply in my case because it was an issue for European and US models. (I bought mine in Argentina..) Repair cost would be around U$400 if I was in the US, knowing the Argentinian company culture, I'm sure it will be U$600 here :-(. Needless to say I'm very disappointed in this 1000 dollar machine that broke down in less than 1.5 year!
Btw, mine is a model F505LA.

To the ones above who had their machines repaired under extended warranty, was the serial number of your notebooks on the HP site or not?
Hi,
Only the product numbers are listed on HP website.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:34 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromebpc View Post
hi Guys!
for those of you whose problems were solved by HP, may i ask what had been the problem with the unit? i'm currenly in the Philippines although my unit was purchased in the US. I would have to know the REAL Problem if i have to have my unit fix here in the Philippines---is it the video chip? the integrated poser supply?

dont want those HP (or others) techie guys here to tinker with the unit not knowing what they should fix in the first place. your assistance will be highly appreciated. thanks so much in advance. Happy Holidays.

jerome
Hi,
I was told by HP support that the product number of these Laptops have componants issues on the mother board and they have to replace the mother board in order to solve the problem.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #18
Registered Member

I had to send mine in and they fixed it for free. They said it was due to the power supply. It's back now and working fine.

My friend has the exact same computer and he hasn't had any problems with it.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #19
Registered Member

Okay, so I had my notebook revised by the HP techies, and the verdict is: new motherboard, costs U$D350.-. Needless to say I'm not going to pay that..
Instead I will buy another one next time I'm in the states or Europe, and it will most certainly not be a HP/Compaq. In fact I will never EVER buy anything HP/Compaq again!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #20
Registered Member

I'm having a similar problem Lights come on, a short whir from the hard drive, and then it shuts down. Nothing ever shows on the screen. The whole process only takes a second. I spoke with HP, and they say it is covered under the Limited warranty service enhancement, and they are sending me a box. Wish me luck!

Thank you to the original poster, as I was already looking at new laptops!