Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Compaq Presario CQ60 shuts down when laptop is moved

This is a discussion on Compaq Presario CQ60 shuts down when laptop is moved within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My mom owns a Compaq Presario CQ60 and it doesnt power on but when it does power on and I

Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

My mom owns a Compaq Presario CQ60 and it doesnt power on but when it does power on and I go to move the laptop it shuts down completely and then wont let me power up again.

I have tried what I know what to do with laptops (which isnt a lot)

I have checked the power adapter and the battery. I have no clue what is wrong with the laptop. None of the LED lights work on the front where it displays the power/charging/whatever the last one is come on when the laptop is charging. When I click the power button it doesnt light up at all except for sometimes but then it quickly shuts off. I have only gotten the laptop to get to the log in screen once out of the 50 or so times I have tried it.

I have read elsewhere that it may be a loose connection or the motherboard is bad. And I have also tried the solution where you take the battery out and the adapter and hold down the power button for 30 seconds and that has not worked either.

If anyone out there knows what might be up with the laptop please respond.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Does it matter if the laptop is running off battery or power adapter?

Have you tried removing the battery and using just the AC Adapter?

Does the DC Jack appear to be loose?

Old 05-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply

I have tried with just the AC adapter in and also with just the battery in and the laptop still shuts off.

The DC jack does not appear to be loose.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I would suspect there is a loose connection/short.

Since the laptop is out of warranty then you can disassemble the laptop and attempt the repairs or take it to a local repair shop.

If you decide to disassemble the laptop check all connections and cabling (especially around the hinges)

Compaq Presario CQ60 Maintenance and Service Guide
Old 05-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to Techie19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmizzou View Post
The DC jack does not appear to be loose.
The best way to confirm that the DC Jack is infact making a good connection is by getting in there and checking the solder points. For this you would have to disassemble it. Becareful with the screws. They are very tiny and you can easily loose them. Also, try to keep them organizaed as you remove them so that you know where they go on the laptop.

Have you checked the AC Adapater for proper voltage output? You can do this with a multimeter.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
The best way to confirm that the DC Jack is infact making a good connection......
Does all that really matter when..
Quote:
I have tried with just the AC adapter in and also with just the battery in and the laptop still shuts off.
Seems a bit useless, no?

Try Harder!
Learn2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to Techie19

Learn2Day, since he is going to be disassembling the laptop anyway, what does it hurt to just double check that the DC Jack solder points are ok.

When trying to troubleshoot a problem, you want to cover all the basis and check everything that can have anything to do with the problem at hand.

I don't know everything, never said I did, I simply posted my suggestion. This is what we're all here for, to help others.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Hey Techie, not attacking you, is just how i am, direct to the point...
Quote:
When trying to troubleshoot a problem, you want to cover all the basis and check everything that can have anything to do with the problem at hand.
You clearly forgot to cover logic as the first base of all. If the problem persists even on battery, i think it's safe to rule out the DC jack and charger, no? Obviously the problem will most probably be on board.. With luck (based on the pick up/turn off comment) just a bad contact needed to cleaned, or a solder point broken.

Again, not an attack, simple straight forward personality and electronics logic.

Try Harder!
Learn2day is offline   Reply With Quote