Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Compaq laptop keeps switching to battery

This is a discussion on Compaq laptop keeps switching to battery within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The plug doesn't seem to be bad. Won stay on ac power. If I unplug it and plug it back

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

The plug doesn't seem to be bad. Won stay on ac power. If I unplug it and plug it back in it stay on power for a few seconds then back to battern. Right voltage coming out of the power supply. Doesn't matter if you jiggle the plus?

Anyone every have this problem?

Old 06-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Hi Mike,

It is probably the solder connection between the jack and the motherboard that has been broken. If you are really good at soldering, you can try and resolder it, but if you don't feel comfortable with that, you can see if a local shop will do it.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Soldering is not the hard part. Tearing the laptop down to get to what needs to be soldered is the hard part.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrister View Post
Soldering is not the hard part. Tearing the laptop down to get to what needs to be soldered is the hard part.
Additionally, it is hard to solder because there is often other things that get in the way and prevent you of having a good angle to stick the soldering iron in with. If there weren't obstructions, the soldering would be easy.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problems installing Win XP on Compaq Presario 2500 Laptop
Hi all. I'm new here but not what you would call new to computers. I have a Compaq Presarion laptop sitting behind me that is giving me fits! A friend of mine got it as a gift. Its got a 1.5 ghz celeron processor, 256 mb of ram, and a 40 gig hard drive. Here's the problem. When he got it,...
Suthrnmiman Windows XP Support 7 05-30-2009 10:27 AM
Boot Problems on compaq 900 series Laptop
I have a compaq 900 series laptop that has been driving me insane! Here are the symptons and what I have tried: Will not boot to anything (got it to cpq logo once but never again) Unit will get hot if left "ON". Power light comes on, speakers "pop", nothing happens Solutions tried to...
mixj Laptop Support 8 03-26-2008 01:39 AM
Laptop battery charger
I have Toshiba sattelite Celeron 420 1.6GHz Model L35-S2151. I didn't have a power cord to it so I used one from IBM withj similar jack but it was 16V instead of 19V. The battery was completely dead, so when i plugged it in the sharging light came up and then went out. When I tried to turn it on,...
will12 Laptop Support 8 12-11-2006 05:27 AM
Laptop Won't Start on Battery Only AC
A Toshiba Satellite A15-S157. With the batter installed and fully charged, the laptop will not boot up whether or not the AC is in. To get the laptop to boot, I must remove the battery and the AC, wait a few seconds, reconnect the AC then boot up without problem. After or during boot up, I can...
silbergleid Laptop Support 2 07-31-2006 07:27 AM
Compaq Armada No boot on AC Power, only battery
I've got a Armada 7400 that used to work just fine. What has happend recently is that the laptop will only boot when the battery is in but not the AC Adapter. Here's a typical Senario: AC In/Battery IN: lights will flash for about three seconds then the computer will stop and shutoff, no...
Chadley Laptop Support 3 05-22-2005 02:12 PM