Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheap laptop for DotA2 (all settings on low)

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
Hello Tech Support Forum,

I am in search for a cheap laptop to play DotA2
I play with all settings on low - so I know the laptop does not need to be good.
But I want it to be lowest cost possible - but still be able to sustain 60 frames per second under heavy fights.
I play dota at a very high level, but just as a hobby. (5,000 solo mmr ranked for the ones interested)

Can you help me find one?
And how much approximately would I need to invest?
Would 300€ be enough?

I don't mind if it is a 15 or 17"

For example: Lenovo B590 w/Intel Celeron 1005m 1.9Ghz

#9 ·
Any desktop computer with these specifications as a minimum should run it
CPU: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2 GB for Vista
Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible video card with Shader model 3.0. NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better
Sound Card: Yes
Free Disk Space: 2.5 GB

#13 ·
I would prefer a laptop. Because I need to be mobile.

I have a laptop now.
XPS M1730. But I think the reason it is running slow is because of over heating. Now I am in a position where I am considering whether I should a) get a new cheap laptop or b) buy thermal paste for my old laptop.
I am very poor at the moment. University student. And I feel my budget is too low for what people post. But I have an impression people post too high specifications for their suggestions.

My current old laptop specifications:
Dell XPS M1730 17"
cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5Ghz
ram: 4Gb (no more details, I can't find it sorry)
gpu: 2x GeForce 8700M GT (I have 2 of these in SLI)

Thermal paste is pretty cheap.
Temperatures from RealTemp:
cpu: 50 C average
gpu: 65 C average

Note my GPU temperatures are extremely high for Idle. Perhaps a thermal paste re-install could solve my issue?

#14 ·
We can only post what is available, we are not posting overly priced machines.
Your cheapest option is to but the thermal paste and a can of compressed air and give it a good clean out of dust and debris, Then clean of the old paste from the Cpu and heatsink use a coffee filter and some isopropyl alcohol to ensure it is all gone then follow the instructions here Arctic Silver, Inc. - Instructions also remove unwanted ur unused programs,run disc clean and defrag.

#17 ·
You're jumping from one option to another, if your cash flow is limited as you indicated, your cheapest option is a clean up and replace the thermal paste.
You can then continue using the present laptop until you have saved more money for a new machine with a newer processor and features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.