Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cause for Asus k52jc laptop random freeze

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  BIGBEARJEDI 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've been experiencing a problem with my Asus K52JC-EX352D laptop, which has the following configuration:
Intel® CoreTM i5-460M 2.53GHz
4 GB RAM DDR3 1066 Mhz
nVidia GeForce 310M 1GB
Flash SSD Kingston V300 2.5", 120GB

When using it, at random intervals and with no correlation to what I'm doing, the laptop freezes. No blue screens
or error messages, just that I can't move my mouse cursor, keyboard doesn't work, somtimes with an annoying sound
if I was listening to music or watching videos.

I tried the following fixes / solutions, all without success:
1. Ran memtest about 4-5 times - memory is ok / ran windows memory diagnostics tool - memory ok.
2. Updated BIOS.
3. Updated ssd firmware.
4. Ran virus scan.
5. Checked hard disk for error.
6. Readings with SpeedFan, appear ok, somewhere between 50-60 degrees C for the processor & around 40 degrees C for the HD.
7. S.M.A.R.T. readings are ok.
8. Replaced SSD with the mechanical Seagate hd with a fresh install of windows 7, the problem persists.
9. Did a fresh install of ubuntu - problem persists.
10. Ran Ubuntu from a usb flash drive - problem persists.
11. Ran laptop without battery.
cleaned the inside of my laptop, temperature appears alright, cleaned processor and applied new thermal compound Arctic Silver 5
on it, etc. and a few more attempts, I can't even remember.

Given the fact it reapears in different operating systems, I believe the problem is hardware related. Any suggestions of how I
can find the route cause of the problem?

Thanks.

See less See more
#7 ·
Ran the GPU test, all was ok, no errors.

Ran the power supply test, it stopped in the first minute, since the processor reached critical temperature of 85 degrees C.

Tried running the laptop with just one memory stick and on the battery only. An unusual behavior appeared, it suddenly closed without any warning when the battery was at 40%.

In the meantime, the original reported issue did not reproduce. I need to further verify this.

#13 ·
Based on the tests that you have run, it appears to be a faulty Motherboard. Since you've replaced the SSD drive with a mechanical hard drive, this removes the most obvious culprit in this kind of failure--the hard drive.

ACER laptops and HP laptops have high failure rates on their Motherboards and are NEVER recommended by competent Techs. ASUS, I don't know that well, because they have only been marketed here in the U.S. about 3 years or so, and I have only seen 2 in the last 5 yrs. in my shop. Neither had bad Mobos.

You can replace the Mobo yourself if you've done this before, and you sound fairly experienced. If you've done a desktop PC Mobo swapout before but never a laptop, I suggest you take it to your local Computer Pro to do. It will run $175-$350 or so parts and labor.

However, on a computer that's several years old, you may wish to consider spending that money on a new laptop. New chromebooks start at $199 now, and brand new dell inspiron 15-inch laptop full sizes are $418 in U.S. tax and shipping (unless you live in Texas).

Hope that proves helpful.

BIGBEARJEDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.