Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer spilled on laptop

2K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  hara_mo 
#1 ·
Dear

Laptop: Dell inspiron 17R- 7720

It coulc not turn on for a week or more, suddenly laptops boots normal.

Are there utilities to check every part of laptop?

keyboard is broken: it still works, but the left side, if I press a, the output is az.

all keyboard buttons at left side have this issue (instead of the charachter I pressed on, I receive two characters on text ).

I opened the keyboard just to check , it has yellow colour at back side (beer).

I wanted to put the keyboard back in his place, but it does not click anymore (top side, it should click)

to take it out, I had to use a plastic scribe. now I want to put it back, those clicks do not come out

Before I decide to buy a replacement, I hope I can fix it in his place.

Someone any advice what to do ( replace keyboard will help? how to make those clicks come out?)

CAUTION: The keycaps on the keyboard are fragile, easily dislodged, and
time-consuming to replace. Be careful when removing and handling
the keyboard.
1 Turn the computer over and open the display as far as possible.
2 Using a plastic scribe, release the keyboard from the tabs on the palm rest and ease
the keyboard up until it clears off the palm rest.
CAUTION: Be extremely careful when removing and handling the keyboard.
Failure to do so could result in scratching the display panel.

See less See more
#2 ·
We could make all kinds of suggestions, but you can see the damage from a better view. I would take it to a shop, pay the minimum inspection fee, then weigh the fix it cost against a new unit. I assume you've backed up important stuff.

#4 ·
Laptop works great: played a long video on you tube : video, sound and wifi connection ok.

I just want to know if there are utilities to test the motherboard, dc in cable, adapter, ... .

Amazon : 15dollar? Is it a original keyboard? Seems to cheap

#7 ·
The tabs that hold the keyboard in place may be damaged, the best method for removal is to pry up the edge closest to the screen and lift up slightly and move the keyboard away from you to release the larger tabs nearest you, then you can undo the cable from the motherboard.
You may be able to wash the keyboard in demineralised water, this will have to be dried thoroughly before replacing it.
Putting the keyboard back is a reversal of how I described removing it.

#9 ·
at Panther063

You may be able to wash the keyboard in demineralised water, this will have to be dried thoroughly before replacing it.
Putting the keyboard back is a reversal of how I described removing it.
I bought 5 L demineralised water (no small package of it).

So I take the keyboard and put it complete in this water, leave it for a minute or two , then sake it a little bit , then let it dry?

at the back of the keyboard is a plastic , i think this plastic will prevent water from entering, and it is very dirty behind the plastic.

#14 ·
If needed, it will be replaced, but it the cleaning solves the problem, then I want to give this first a try.

Do I need to put the keyboard in a bucket full with demineralised water?

for some minutes? hours? or I need to wash it like someone would wash his clothes manually :)- (shaking it in water, schrubbing a litle bit, ...)

then maybe blow air into it, see what comes out?

there is also a plastic that is glued to the backside of the keyboard, If it was possible remove it safely and clean it (lot of dirt to see) and put the plastick back as if it was never taken out?

#18 ·
keyboard still does not type correctly: only part left side is damaged.

is this 100% a keyboard malfunction or does the chance exist there is a motherboard damage?
i ask this because after reading some about this problem on the net, one changed his keybozard and still had a problem with typing. I want to be sure before buying a new keyboard. extern keyboard works great.

All the rest of keyboard works except:

errors:

z: za
a: za
q: sq
s: sq
w: xw
x: xw
&: é&
é: é&

shift lock : (tab) led does light up (most of the times) and i can type capital letters but at the same time a space occur (tab)

tab button: space occur (tab) and led on shift lock button lights up

button with small 2 and 3: help windows opens
if i click shift together with this button: result: 3 (correct)

#21 ·
Vs? Sorry, don,t understand.

You are advising me to buy a new laptop( small invest) rather then replacing keyboard?

Replacing keyboard is cheaper. But if you mean that it's not 100% that only the keyboard is damaged, please let me know.
No. Other way around.

It's been 7 days since you first posted. You might have been able to order and receive a new keyboard and install it by now.

I don't see how anyone can tell you for sure if it's only the keyboard or not based on questions over the web.

Trial and error, or take it to a shop would be the only ways.

#24 · (Edited)
I agree. Simply try replacing the keyboard. It's not but ~$15 and maybe 10 minutes to change it out. I've done it on a multitude of laptops. And on most, it's no big deal.

#26 ·
OK, update:

I contacted Dell, they provide me with a refurbished azerty keyboard for 10 euro's.

and I'm typing this text with the laptop , problem solved.

It is truy what you said, but I thaugth that a keyboard costs around 30 euro's, so I first want to be sure no other reason was the cause of the problem.

But ok now :). Thanks for help.

One thing remaines, this was a problem before the beer was spilled on the laptop.

the speaker(s) make a noise on an irregular basis, but not always.

sometimes at startup, somtimes during watching a movie, but it stops after a while.

this noise is like if someone is blowing air to a mic.

I think the noice comes from the speaker in the bottom (skullcandy is written on it).

#27 ·
Good to hear another keyboard has solved the problem. I've seen many a laptop, as well as cellphones and tablets, ruined/destroyed by liquids.

Occasional weird little noises coming from speakers can be caused by things like Ham radios, cellphones, walkie talkies, microwave ovens, motors, vacuum cleaners, radio waves, fluorescent lights etc. Next time you hear it, you might try moving the laptop to a different location, or move other nearby electronic equipment away from the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.