Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Asus Start up problems

This is a discussion on Asus Start up problems within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am using an Asus F5VL laptop with windows Vista Prem Intel Core 2 duo T5450 @1.66Ghz 2047MB Ram when

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am using an Asus F5VL laptop with
windows Vista Prem
Intel Core 2 duo T5450 @1.66Ghz
2047MB Ram

when i power the laptop up i get the black screen with the small scrolling bar in the center and the words microsoft corporation underneath it for about 2 minutes, the screen then goes completely black for about 5 minutes, then the windows loading screen appears

after windows loads the laptop runs as i feel it should, nice and fast, no sign of any problems

someone suggested that i may have faulty ram, so i have used the wonderful MEMTEST86 program and after leaving that running for over 2 hours my ram showed no faults

at present i have just done a system restore so the hard disk has been formated, and it has been reverted back to factory settings.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

So the problem you are saying is the 5minutes that the screen goes dark? If so, same thing happens after a reformat and a reinstall of Vista?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yep thats it,

even after a full format its the 7-8 mins it takes windows to boot that is the problem

cheers

Dave
Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to TriggerFinger Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerFinger

It seems you have a relatively new laptop. How old is this, if I may ask. Also has this been behaving the same way since you got it out of the box?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

the laptop was new in Feb 08, just out of warrenty!!!!
it is used by my 15yrold daughter and for playing wow exclusivley.
the problem with the long start up occured about a week ago, so i told her to back her stuff up and that i would do a system format and reinstall. hoping this would rectify the problem, but it has not. this is the only symptom, or fault that i am aware of with the laptop.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

RAM showed no errors with Memtest86+, correct? Have you tried HDD diagnostics? Use CD image (.iso) of Hitachi DFT or Seatools and run quick or advanced tests (see HDD Diags link on my sig). Remember you need to burn the CD Image file into a blank CD using ImgBurn or Nero. I suggest you check HDD for errors and post back what you find out.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Will do that now and post back results
thanks
dave
Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Registered Member

Created a boot cd with Hitachi DFT and ran quick test no problems found just running advanced tests now, its 120gig so may take a while
Old 03-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Just an additional thing to try... hook it up to an external monitor and boot up your laptop. Observe if external monitor also blacks out just like the LCD.

Also try to update your drivers (ALL of them including BIOS if possible)... get them here:

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...-us&model=F5Vl

Closed Thread