Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Asus laptop keyboard issues

This is a discussion on Asus laptop keyboard issues within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone. Since around last month, I started having some problems with my laptop's keyboard. For some reason, the keys

Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi everyone.

Since around last month, I started having some problems with my laptop's keyboard. For some reason, the keys aren't responding properly, this includes ALL the keys. When I tried it out in notepad, pressing the keys sometimes generated "0sc". I ran an anti-virus, didn't found anything. Used Ccleaner to clean/fix the registry, tried defragging, but so far the only solution seems to be banging the keyboard (which is only a temporary fix).

Googling the issue also came up empty. There was one solution to a similar problem I found, which was to uninstall the synaptics mouse driver, but I don't have that one on my laptop...

So far it causes problems when trying to log in (have to use virtual keyboard in extreme cases), typing, but also when using keyboard short-cuts.

My laptop is an Asus x42jy-vx166d, running on Windows 7 professional.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi, welcome to TSF

is this laptop under any warranty? if not i would check the ribbon cable and re-seat the cable being careful with the zif connector. have you tried uninstalling the keyboard and restart laptop?

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'd give Oscer's suggestions a shot thats the basic first things to try here. I assume an external keyboard will work, but test it out to be sure. If Oscer's solution doesn't work and an external keyboard does than just buy a new keyboard and install it. They run an average of about 15$ on amazon.com.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hi guys, thanks for the fast replies!

Yes, I still got a year of warranty left on it.
I tried uninstalling the keyboard already, sorry forgot to mention that.
Same result.

I'll try it with an external keyboard, but can't do that before this weekend (time constraints on my end).
Old 06-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Best thing to do is use the warranty. I would think if on screen keyboard works going to be hardware fualt.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

I had/have the same problem and wish I did my homework before buying this thing from Walmart. WHO only has a two week return policy. ASUS will NOT do any returns so I had to send it to them. The keyboard is ALL over the place. Sends half written emails if I am stupid enough to put in the persons name first who I am sending it to. Skips all over, hops up to the subject line and deletes whole paragraphs!
I was FURIOUS.. so much so I can't stand talking to them on the phone. They have broken English and I go nuts!. So.. I sent it out the other day but the second it comes back I am selling it. It was $500 and I'll eat the $100 on it.
I told them I am prepared to go to Small Claims with this. No one expects to go to purchase a computer and have problems right off the bat. I had been away and started working on it on Day 10 of purchase.. and I was emailing and talking on the phone with them constantly. Install this.. download that!.. so now it's not brand new anymore right ASUS?
Don't purchase this brand. I am so sorry I passed up the Toshiba because of sound..
Old 11-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

I just bought two of the u57a and having the same issue with both of them jumping all over the place when trying to type. Have you gotten yours back, did they fix the issue? wanted to see how far you got before I called and started repair process on mine.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
Registered Member

I have an Asus laptop, just installed win 8... keyboard is and was jumping letters back when I try to type and like here, I have to stop go back delete the proper the word again in the proper place. frustrated

had to edit this to fix the jump back letters :(
Old 12-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaGlassLover View Post
I had/have the same problem and wish I did my homework before buying this thing from Walmart. WHO only has a two week return policy. ASUS will NOT do any returns so I had to send it to them. The keyboard is ALL over the place. Sends half written emails if I am stupid enough to put in the persons name first who I am sending it to. Skips all over, hops up to the subject line and deletes whole paragraphs!
I was FURIOUS.. so much so I can't stand talking to them on the phone. They have broken English and I go nuts!. So.. I sent it out the other day but the second it comes back I am selling it. It was $500 and I'll eat the $100 on it.
I told them I am prepared to go to Small Claims with this. No one expects to go to purchase a computer and have problems right off the bat. I had been away and started working on it on Day 10 of purchase.. and I was emailing and talking on the phone with them constantly. Install this.. download that!.. so now it's not brand new anymore right ASUS?
Don't purchase this brand. I am so sorry I passed up the Toshiba because of sound..
I am sorry I got the alleged great Asus, too :(
Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #10
Registered Member

I finally broke down and called ASUS support and they had me remove the current mouse driver and reload a totally different one. Works perfectly now. Keyboard no longer jumps all over when typing and I was able to go back to using laptop mouse. Still had to turn off alot of the features but works great. I don't have my laptop on so I don't remember the name of the new mouse driver/program. If anyone needs it just reply and I will look it up for you.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpalinda View Post
I finally broke down and called ASUS support and they had me remove the current mouse driver and reload a totally different one. Works perfectly now. Keyboard no longer jumps all over when typing and I was able to go back to using laptop mouse. Still had to turn off alot of the features but works great. I don't have my laptop on so I don't remember the name of the new mouse driver/program. If anyone needs it just reply and I will look it up for you.
Thank you.. now all I need is another mouse driver for my MS 500
Old 01-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Registered Member

The driver they had me install was ASUS PS/2 Port Clickpad 1.0.0.148 Dated 10/29/2012. Downloaded from ASUS support page. The program that goes along with it to control the mouse pad is ASUS Smart Gesture, within the program I turned off almost every feature because my fingers are always hitting the huge mouse pad. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.