Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Asus G73J firewire card ?

This is a discussion on Asus G73J firewire card ? within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello guys, I own an Asus G73J that does NOT have a firewire port. I need a firewire port to

Old 06-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello guys, I own an Asus G73J that does NOT have a firewire port. I need a firewire port to import my minidv tapes movies...
Could u please suggest a solution to add a firewire port to my Asus G73J ?

Thank you

Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 AM   #2
Enthusiast

I'm afraid you cannot add a firewire port to that model since it has no expansion-slot for either a PC Card or ExpressCard, and you need to have one of those to add firewire capability to a laptop.

It was manufactured as primarily a high-end gaming laptop & some connectivity options were left out of the specifications list.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip22 View Post
I'm afraid you cannot add a firewire port to that model since it has no expansion-slot for either a PC Card or ExpressCard, and you need to have one of those to add firewire capability to a laptop.

It was manufactured as primarily a high-end gaming laptop & some connectivity options were left out of the specifications list.
Thank you for the reply. Is there any external firewire card ?
I tried a firewire to USB adapter, but it does not work.
Is there anything that can be attached to the USB and that can add external firewire connections to the laptop ?

Thank you
Old 07-03-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
Registered Member

Question

I also own the Asus G73Jh. Its blazing fast, I love it. I'm really not much of a gamer and bought this super powerful computer in hopes to use it on the road for audio recording.

I have a Mackie Onyx mixer with firewire output and would really like to figure out a way to pipe that into my G73.

If anyone has an idea of some kind of external device or converter or even a way to open up the PC to install it, it would really bring a lot more functionality to me.

I guess I should of realized this before I bought it, however I'm still thinking there's got to be a way to achieve this with the right attachment for motherboard. I mean it would be very silly for them to of left this important ability out for such a powerful machine.

Anyone know of a fix/converter/work around ?
Old 07-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Just so people know the Asus g73jh has the following interfaces:

USB2.0 (Already read this isn't an option)
Atheroes Ethernet Jack
HDMI in
VGA in
MMC / SD / MS card reader (this, in my opinion should have been a pci express slot!!)

There has to be some way or another to get firewire in to this laptop, I'm determined. Any help or response is appreciated.