Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Asus eee pc netbook will not boot from hdd.

This is a discussion on Asus eee pc netbook will not boot from hdd. within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a asus netbook that will not boot from the hdd. I will go to the windows splash screen

Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a asus netbook that will not boot from the hdd. I will go to the windows splash screen then just get caught in a loop from the splash screen to the reboot options screen. I have tried installing a known good hdd w/ windows installed and it does the same thing. What could be going on here? When installing the new/good hdd do I need to change settings anywhere in the bios or anything? It will not boot into safemode either. Please help.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I would start with running diagnostics on the hard drive by downloading the diagnostic tool for the hard drive brand and making a bootable disc.

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

See this for how to make a bootable cd:

How to Burn a Bootable ISO File

Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

If that is Vista or Windows 7 you can tap F8 continuously after pressing the power button until you see a screen with some options the first of which should be "repair Your Computer" and if you choose the "cmd" prompt and type in "chkdsk /r" and then hit "enter" on the keyboard, answer "Y" and "enter" when prompted the computer will have to reboot to do so and then restart. Checkdisk should bring it back to Windows.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have ran chkdsk on the original hdd and still would not boot that is what prompted me to use my known good hdd and im still getting the same issue. The hdd that ive tried works fine as I can use it perfectly in my other laptop. So it makes me think that something is wrong the mobo or bios maybe?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Using the hard drive to try to boot up doesn't mean anything though, the hardware is different and no hard drive with Windows on it would boot for you that way. Have you tried installing Windows on another hard drive with a Windows disk.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

I just tried installing another hdd that i have windows vista installed and its still doing the same thing.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by neemo6 View Post
I just tried installing another hdd that i have windows vista installed and its still doing the same thing.
Same answer you have to install Windows on the drive in the computer for it to work as all hardware is different. You will not be able to boot a hard drive with Windows installed from another system.