Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Alienware M17x Graphics problem

This is a discussion on Alienware M17x Graphics problem within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys, so im having trouble with the two graphics cards they dont seem to be want to read by the laptop, i can see the motherboards graphics card but thats in no way as good as the two cards would be, having just bought this computer i have no idea what the two cards are but i have a suspicion that the problem could be because the motherboard is Nvidia and the cards are ATI here are my speccy results i hope somebody can help me
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300 @ 2.53GHz 33 °C
Penryn 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
Alienware (Socket 479) 36 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1200@59Hz)
256MB GeForce 9400M G (Dell) 45 °C
Hard Drives
977GB NVIDIA STRIPE 931.52G (RAID)
Optical Drives
Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640S SCSI CdRom Device
DTSoftBusCd00
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I have never worked on Alienware, however usually when a system board uses a video card to process video it doesn't have a on board video chip in addition to that. If the video card is bad you shouldn't be getting video at all; or just distorted video.

Best thing you can do is verify its not a software issue by restoring the laptop. If you don't want to get that drastic you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers. If there is a hardware issue, since it is new, and should be under warranty. I think you should send it in for repair.