Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acer Travelmate 5520 - Slow boot with Windows

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  kamm 
#1 ·
I have TM 5520 computer and it has slow boot issue with XP, Vista or 7. No matter which of these operating systems I install, my machine spends unusually long time at the Windows logo screen, but eventually boots to desktop. The machine also cannot restart itself with Windows, it will hang on "Shutting down Windows" screen. So we're talking about clean OS which does this even at first boot without any drivers or applications installed.

With Ubuntu Linux it does not have any of the those issues.

I already did bios upgrade from 1.14 to latest 1.17.

#3 · (Edited)
Does the problem occur even when Windows is newly installed?
Yes, and it did the same thing with Windows 7 when I tried it earlier, however I noticed that with bios 1.17 the Windows 7 installation suddenly asks me about a driver disc (chipset drivers maybe?) which indicates that something was changed in the new bios.

I did manage to fix slow boot and restart/shut down issue but changing one value with Regedit. I ran eventvwr.msc and under the system tab the list was flooded with acpiec errors and by changing this one value from 0 to 4 all those problems disappeared:

http://lolled.net/kuvaus2/out.php?i=2346_acpiec.JPG

The only problem I have is that the machine cannot go into suspend mode and it does not react when lid is closed, even though it is set to do so in Windows Power Management. If I try to put the machine to suspend mode via Start Menu the screen shuts down but the fans are still running and the machine will not wake up.

I think I'll need to try downgrading bios to 1.10 which Acer has on their website. I Googled around and atleast with some machines it is said that Acer is the one who supplies Vista-only bioses for example.

EDIT: In Ubuntu Linux the OS also did not react when lid was closed but this I think is pretty normal when you are using unsupported hardware, however I was able to put the machine to suspend manually and wake so I think and hope that this is also software issue.

#4 ·
Great! Thank you for informations.

I have Acer Extensa 5620Z, and this problem i solve also by this way:

Change with regedit, this entry to this value:

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ACPIEC]
"Start"=dword:00000004
Notebook can boot, shut down and others as normaly, but I can not see battery state and notebook is not able to susspend..

What is wrong? How to solve this problem when I want ACPI functions?

#5 ·
Notebook can boot, shut down and others as normaly, but I can not see battery state and notebook is not able to susspend..

What is wrong? How to solve this problem when I want ACPI functions?
I think that this fix disables those abilities. If you install Windows XP without ACPI you will get same results, the machine boots and shuts down normally but no suspend. I ended up using Ubuntu since it does work normally and luckily all devices (WLAN, BT, Webcam etc) are supported. I noticed that in Windows XP the machine lags heavily when I try to look about battery information, in Ubuntu the OS diplays all kinds of information, manufacturer, model code and all kinds of charge information as well without any problems. Very very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.