Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Acer Aspire 7745 loses Wifi connection

This is a discussion on Acer Aspire 7745 loses Wifi connection within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I've got an Acer Aspire 7745 and I am finding that it frequently drops the wifi connection. When I

Old 12-11-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
KPS
Registered Member

Hello, I've got an Acer Aspire 7745 and I am finding that it frequently drops the wifi connection. When I start up my laptop, it finds my wifi signal no problem and has no issues connecting to it. After a while (it doesn't seem to have any sort of typical timeframe to happen), it just stops connecting to the wifi signal even though it will recognize that it's available. If I try to connect to it again, it just says "unable to connect".

When I try to troubleshoot, it goes through the process and eventually tries to reset the adapter. It disables it fine, but when it re-enables it, the computer freezes/locks up making force-restart it. If I don't do the troubleshooting method by try and disable the adapter and re-enable it, the same thing occurs.

If I don't do any of that, once the wifi signal is dropped, if I restart the computer, things seem to connect again just fine (until the next time it drops it).

I originally bought the laptop and found this problem, so I took it back to costco where I bought it, and got a new one thinking that it was just a defective particular laptop, but this one has the same issue has the previous one (same make/model).

I don't have any similar issues with any other hardware that uses the wifi signal.

I use windows 7 and there doesn't seem to be any sort of common "program" that I have running each time the signal loss happens.

Anybody have a similar problem or heard of this?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello KPS and welcome to TSF,

First thing you should do is attempt to update your Wireless Network Adapter's driver.

You can do this by opening device manager and right clicking on the device and selecting "Update Driver".

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
KPS
Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome and tip.

I've just tried that, and it seems that the driver is up to date.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Hello again. Do you know what wireless adapter your Acer has?

Go into Device Manager to find out.... It will either be Atheros, Broadcom or Intel
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #5
KPS
Registered Member

It's a Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
Old 12-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Try changing the wireless channel of the router you are connecting to. It is possible there is interference from other electronic devices that, for some reason, is affecting the Broadcom Wireless Adapter more than the other devices that connect to the network.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Hello, I've got an Acer Aspire 7745 and I am finding that it frequently drops the wifi connection. When I start up my laptop, it finds my wifi signal no problem and has no issues connecting to it. After a while (it doesn't seem to have any sort of typical timeframe to happen), it just stops connecting to the wifi signal even though it will recognize that it's available. If I try to connect to it again, it just says "unable to connect".

When I try to troubleshoot, it goes through the process and eventually tries to reset the adapter. It disables it fine, but when it re-enables it, the computer freezes/locks up making force-restart it. If I don't do the troubleshooting method by try and disable the adapter and re-enable it, the same thing occurs.

If I don't do any of that, once the wifi signal is dropped, if I restart the computer, things seem to connect again just fine (until the next time it drops it).

I originally bought the laptop and found this problem, so I took it back to costco where I bought it, and got a new one thinking that it was just a defective particular laptop, but this one has the same issue has the previous one (same make/model).

I don't have any similar issues with any other hardware that uses the wifi signal.

I use windows 7 and there doesn't seem to be any sort of common "program" that I have running each time the signal loss happens.

I had the same problem as you and updated the wireless network adapter driver for the Aspire 7745 from the ACER website from 5.60.350.6 to 5.60.48.35. What driver revision do you currently have for the adapter?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Thank you for the input and the information Jay, it is much appreciated!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

I also made one other change I saw suggested on another forum. In the device manager, I unchecked (said no to) "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." That makes good sense because the wireless adapter is certainly cutting off, and there is a history of problems with windows systems getting locked up after something goes into hibernation.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R. Yablon View Post
I also made one other change I saw suggested on another forum. In the device manager, I unchecked (said no to) "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." That makes good sense because the wireless adapter is certainly cutting off, and there is a history of problems with windows systems getting locked up after something goes into hibernation.

Sorry to report I dropped the connection again about an hour ago. So the two changes I made (driver upgrade, remove the power off for the network adapter) did not solve the problem.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post

As I mentioned earlier, I have the same problem. I just did an internet chat with ACER technical support. They wanted me to do a system recovery which is like killing a mosquito with a bazooka, and which would put me out of business for a week before I could get all my programs and files properly reinstalled.

They insisted that I was the first to report this problem, which is one reason they gave for giving me the runaround. Have you reported this? If not, please do. They need to hear this from others. I was told if they heard from more than just me, they would escalate this through their whole technical support team.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:58 PM   #12
KPS
Registered Member

Unfortunately the 2 fixes that were suggested didn't do it for me either. I still have the same problem.

Either the techie from Acer wasn't being truthful to you, or for whatever reason, my initial complaint to them didn't get recorded. I did send in something to acer with the first laptop, however I haven't done it since with this replacement one that I got. I will do so...
Old 02-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hey KPS...

Did you ever solve you WiFi lockup problem? When I read your thread, you describe EXACTLY what I too am experiencing right now. It's frustrating to say the least. Can you let me know if you or anyone else has had success in solving this problem? I appreciate you input... thanks...

Dave
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
Registered Member

I am inquiring about a solution to this issue as well. I am having the exact same problem.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
KPS
Registered Member

Sorry everyone, I had forgotten to post when I did it as it ended up becoming a moot point. After I returned my first one to Costco because of the problem (hoping it was simply an issue with the particular laptop and not the model) and ended up seeing the same issue with the replacement, I took mine back to costco for a refund and didn't get a replacement. So I'm afraid I never had a solution that worked...
Old 03-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Hello again KPS,

I am sorry it didn't work out for you, I assume you found a suitable replacement you are happy with?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #17
Registered Member

I appreciate having this page as this is exactly the problem I've been having right down to having bought the computer at Costco. I have a Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter and just updated the wireless network adapter driver for the Aspire 7745 from the ACER website from 5.60.350.6 to 5.60.48.35. We'll see how it goes. Thank you for the help.:)
Old 06-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
Registered Member

Hi everybody

I had this same problem with my ACER 7745 bought at Costco...

I updated my Broadcom driver with this one:

from 17/03/11 that can be found at:

Broadcom drivers

So far no disconnection!

Hope this helps!

Gael

Old 06-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #19
Registered Member

Mine does the same thing. I emailed support and they had me check all these updates. They were all updated with the current version of drivers and or settings. I then sent my unit to Acer for repair. I just got it back and within 15 minutes it dropped the internet connection. I looked at what they did. They downloaded all windows updates that included a wireless driver. They said they had no problems with internet connection for 3 hours. (The same thing I did). Anyways called back Acer and they want me to restore my hard drive. (Another thing is I just got the unit back from repair 3 weeks ago because the hard drive failed and they had to replace it.) Why would you need to restore a hard drive when it is brand new. I have been on the phone with them for over an hour and they want me to send it back again. Why so they can update it again and find no hardware problem. I think not. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Apparently Acer has no clue and I am not losing another 2 weeks of work to have them do nothing. I have no faith in them and will never buy another Acer again and will tell everyone that! Please let me know if you were able to get yours fixed. Thanks