Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Acer Aspire 5920G - Black Screen...with a hook

This is a discussion on Acer Aspire 5920G - Black Screen...with a hook within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I'd like to start by saying I wasn't sure wether to post this here, look it up on the

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello

I'd like to start by saying I wasn't sure wether to post this here, look it up on the Hard Drive section or post it somewhere else so to the admin, if this isn't the right place, feel free to close or move this topic.

With that said, to my problem. As mentioned, I'm having issues with my Aspire 5920G. I'll start with the first probs since I don't know if it's relevant. Lately, the laptop was getting pretty hot after being used for a while. There were times when I didn't notice, and all of a sudden the laptop would freeze and didn't respond, so I had to hold down the power button to shut it off.

Then, two days ago, I noticed that the fan was running pretty slow despite the laptop being very hot. Usually it would get pretty loud. Later that day, I noticed the laptop getting hot again, so I shut it down and left it to cool down. After a couple of hours, when I tried to turn it on, I got a black screen. The fan works for a few seconds, then it stops. The lights next to the power button blink a few times. The DVD-Rom is responding, the bluetooth-button is glowing, sometimes it responds when you push it, sometimes it doesn't. The screen turns on, but it's just black. That's about it.

Now to the hook. I tried some things mentioned in the sticky about black screens, but I didn't follow the later steps for two reasons. First, I'm not that good with PC hardware, so I didn't want to touch things I'm not sure how to handle. Second, and that's the main reason, while my warranty is expired, I do have an insurance for many problems that the warranty doesn't cover, so taking things into my own hands could lead to the insurance being denied.

Now, bringing it to the shop would either get my laptop repaired or I would get a new one. I talked to the guy at the shop and he said it would probably be replaced. However, I had my old laptop replaced with this one, and I know that in the case of replacement I would loose all my data, since they don't tend to care about saving data, despite my repeatedly begging them. The guy also mentioned that he can't guarantee any data being returned. I have a bunch of files on my laptop that can't be redownloaded or in any other way restored.

So, I came here for advice. Any idea what specifically would cause this problem? What should I do? Try to fix the laptop myself and risk doing more damage and/or loosing my insurance? Try to save the data by connecting the Hard drive to another pc (if it's not broken), and how do I do that? Or send it in for repair and hope for the best? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello Luminarc and welcome to TSF,

In your situation I suggest removing the HDD and transferring the files you wish to save to another media.

In order to do this, you will need to connect the drive to a USB enclosure, or directly to a spare SATA header inside a desktop computer. This will allow you to access the drives folders and move any information you want to keep to the host systems local drive then to DVD or Flash media for storage and transportation.

To access the HDD, there is a removable panel on the bottom of the computer that is attached by one or two screws. When you remove the panel, you should see the HDD and the HDD caddy which you can remove. Once the information is backed up, you re-install the caddy with the HDD and you are ready to have your computer serviced.

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hey.

First of all, thanks for the quick reply. I went out today and bought a SATA power and data cable. Hooked it up, and now I can see the hard drive in my Bios and disk management, and it's visible in the device manager.

On the first startup the pc recognized it and installed the proper driver successfully. In the disk management Windows asked me to initialize the disk, which I didn't do since I wasn't sure what that would cause. It now says "Disk 1 - unknown - 232 GB - Not initialized - Unallocated".

The sole problem now is that I don't know how to access the HD (if I can access it at all right now).
Old 06-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

It would seem that something occurred that erased the partition table information.

Read this post about recovering partitions and files.

Have you "lost" a hard drive, partition or files in your computer?
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Ok, tried it a couple of times. After I choose 'analyse', it always says 'Partition: Read Error'. When I choose 'Quick Search' after that, I can't type in anything, it doesn't respond...
Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Looks like we need to test the drive for failure.
  1. Download UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD)
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose a mirror site.
  2. Create a CD from the image file (.iso)
    • Windows 7 - Double click on the image file to launch Windows Image Burner
    • Vista/XP - Download/install ImgBurn (The Official ImgBurn Website) then use it to create the CD.
  3. Boot the computer to the CD.
  4. From the menu... Select HDD > Diagnosis > Drive Fitness Test.
  5. When prompted, select ATA only.
  6. Run the quick test and note the result and code.
  7. Run the extended test and note the result and code.
  8. Post the results in your next reply.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
Registered Member

...nothing ever goes as planned. I followed your instructions, and regardless of what I choose, quick test or advanced test, I get the same message: "Device is password protected and can not be tested - Disposition Code = 0x22". That reminded me (and I should've probably mentioned this right away) I had entered a password in the bios menu way back when I got the laptop. Is there a way to type it in while I'm in the UBCD menu, or to clear it any other way? What I'm also wondering now - could it be I can't access the HD in Windows because of that password?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
Registered Member

In the meantime I've tried to recover the files using Ubuntu (from CD). That also did nothing, it would again be necessary to format the HD. Also, since I was connecting the drive using a SATA cable, I was wondering if a SATA-to-USB cable would make a difference?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Password protecting a HDD is a way of protecting the data contained on it. It is likely the reason the drives contents are not being shown. HDD passwords are not something I have experience with, nor are we allowed to help with password circumvention.

Let me see if I can get someone else to take a look.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Did you encrypt the drive? Did you password protect it?

Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #11
Registered Member

I entered a password while in the BIOS, if that's what you mean. So everytime the laptop would boot, I had to enter the password before it would start loading the OS. Problem is, the BIOS of the Desktop PC doesn't have an option to change or disable the password, and I'm never asked to enter it.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #12
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

A BIOS password should not keep you from being able to access the drive once it is removed . .

Old 06-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
Registered Member

Well, it was about two years ago that I entered that, and I haven't been in that particular menu since, so I can't say for sure, but it's possible I entered both a bios and a hdd password, if that can be done in the bios, of course.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Unless you can recall the password you used, you are out of luck. We do not help with password avoidance here.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Registered Member

I know the password, I had to type it in each day. It's just that I'm not asked to type it in anywhere when I connect it to the desktop PC.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:07 AM   #16
Registered Member

In the meantime my brother got his Acer Aspire 7535 back, so I checked his bios. He has the option to set a supervisor, user and hdd password, and I'm pretty sure I had the same options.

I had the idea to replace his hard drive with mine and try to boot, but I'm not sure how to remove his HDD, so I put that aside for now, so I don't damage something.

And like I said before, I know the password, I'm just never asked to type it in when the hard drive is connected to the desktop pc.