Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Acer Aspire 5742G internet problem

This is a discussion on Acer Aspire 5742G internet problem within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, it's me and my acer aspire 5742G again! Fresh preinstalled i have some issues - my lan card

Old 09-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

Hey guys, it's me and my acer aspire 5742G again! Fresh preinstalled i have some issues - my lan card has somehow set itself to 20mbps max speed, while my internet contract is for 35mbps and on my PC everything is okay. Plus one more extra **** - when the laptop is not in high performance mode and only on battery it suddenly looses internet and the wi-fi sign gets an x over it and it won't fix itself by restarting wi-fi or diagnosing it -full system restart required.

All the best,
Kapsarev.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

You can set the battery for high performance as well by right clicking on the battery icon in the Taskbar > Power Options > the radio button for Balanced Power should be ticked and then click on Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > expand Wireless Adapter Settings > which will take you to Power Saving Mode > if On battery isn't showing as Max Performance then click on whatever it gives as its power setting and use the dropdown to select Maximum Performance > Apply > OK

Old 09-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

And what about the speed restriction?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

If by "full system restart" you have been rebooting the modem and/or router a number of times over a short perid of time and your ISP has some form of Dynamic Line Management system, then it could have interpreted that as an unstable connection and knocked you back.

You can either contact your ISP about this or just leave it without any further reboots and it should auto restore your speed after a few days.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

I got the thing now! When the screen turns off, you know after doing nothing for 10 mins the internet stops and it wont reconnect, it just stays with the x on the top
Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Log into the router and check to see that the Wireless Time Schedule is set to Always on or if there's a value in minutes, set that to 0 as the connection could be timing out when inactive.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

I can't find this thing in the setup I'm using Cisco linksys WRT120N.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Can you see anything in the wireless settings where you can select Connect on Demand ?

If so, then in the Max Idle Time field change the setting to 0 mins.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Registered Member

Well im telling you i bet it's not from the router but from the laptop...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

This is what happens after the Internet has been inactive for the default 5 mins and setting it to 0 will mean it will remain connected and not time out when idle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maps.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	116612
Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Registered Member

Now i am going to explain it very simply. In my neighborhood it is full of wi - fi connections. Other than mine i can catch 10 more. When i leave my laptop for 10 minutes, i can't find any of these networks, neither mine. So it's from my laptop, not my router.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

I had to break off before because of a power cut.

While connectivity issues can arise from overpopulation of the wireless channels, do you experience disconnections when you don't leave the laptop and are actively using using the Internet - and I don't mean just sat there reading a lengthy page.

Have you logged into the router to see if it is just set to the default 5 mins - which I suspect it is when you're not sure how to navigate to the relevant section.

I was surprised that the time-out was set so low in this router - DLinks are normally defaulted to 30mins and have caused the same problems for those who were not aware of this "switch" when the routers have not been defaulted to Always on or their equivalent.

Download and post a snip of this program and I'll have a look at the channels in use around you and their proximity Wi-Fi Inspector | Xirrus
Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Registered Member

There is nothing changed, on my pc everything is fine, eversince my laptop got reinstalled it has this bug. 5 mins ago i just moved the laptop and the connection got lost again, even without leaving it...
Old 09-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Nevertheless, I still require you to log into the router and change the Max Idle Time to 0 to eliminate that.

In your next post I'd like a snip of the Network Adapters in Device Manager, an ipconfig /all and the snip of Xirrus as I've previously requested - these Networking Pre-Posting Requirements will help you with the latter two Pre-posting Requirements - for both Wired and Wireless Connectivity Issues

For the Network Adapters, from Start type devmgmt.msc > Enter > click on View then Show hidden devices and expand Network adapters

Whileyou're in Network adapters, right click on the wireless adapter/Properties/Power Management and untick the box to Allow the computer to switch off to save power.

Extend the snip to cover the heading Non-Plug and Play Drivers.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
Registered Member

Doesn't really matter anymore. It burned. In hell.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapera View Post
Doesn't really matter anymore. It burned. In hell.
Well, that's one way of resolving it.