Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Acer Aspire 5720 - power connector problem

This is a discussion on Acer Aspire 5720 - power connector problem within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been having plenty of issues recently with my Acer Aspire 5720 - quite an old model now! The power

Old 07-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

I've been having plenty of issues recently with my Acer Aspire 5720 - quite an old model now! The power tends to cut out and stop charging the battery, and I have to wiggle the cable to get it going again. This is quite a big problem because my battery is very old, so battery power is almost non-existent!

I'm led to believe that it's a power connector problem, does anyone know how to fix it or what my options are? Do they still make the parts for quite an old laptop now?

My power cable gave up the ghost about 6 months ago, so I'm using an after market replacement bought from Ebay, not sure if this is important. Any help would be great!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Fernando Player,

Did you notice the issue as soon as you bought the aftermarket cable? If so, thats your problem. Alot of the aftermarket cables aren't as high quality as their OEM counterparts. I've seen other users buy those cables bc getting the one through the Manufacturer can be quite expensive. Unfortunately, its usually a gamble as to whether or not they will work as well as the original cable.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

I noticed the problem about 3 months after buying the cheaper cable. To be honest, I've had a couple of cheap cables and had issues before - I'll try replacing the cable before doing anything drastic to the internal workings!

Another thing - after a bit of wiggling of the cable, the power button and charge lights start to glow orange. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks for your help Cl0udedTh0ught!

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acer Aspire 7520 booting problem
Hello, I've got a serious booting problem with my Acer Aspire 7520. My laptop worked finde for 3 years till yesterday after the screensaver hung up and I had to turn the power off, because nothing worked. When I try to start my laptop there are 2 problems. The CPU, Fan etc. start....
Random Member Laptop Support 12 05-25-2011 10:18 AM
Acer Aspire L3600 auto reboot after shut down
I have an Acer Aspire L3600 Ultra Small Form PC. For the last few months it restarts automatically after 'shut down' is selected. Everything (including the monitor) closes down completely but after 2 seconds or so the drive LED comes back on and it reboots. I've tried altering BIOS settings...
oscarcat Motherboards, Bios & CPU 0 04-18-2011 05:15 AM
BSOD (Acer Aspire 6920G has a blue screen-auto-shutdown problem whenever i play MMO
OS - Vista · x64 · original installed OS on system= Vista x64 · The OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) · Age of system (hardware)=3 years+ · Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS=yes 6 months ago · CPU= intel core 2(Duo) T8100 @2,10GHz · Video Card= NVidia...
genetist BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 2 01-09-2011 12:35 AM
win7 64bit clean install on acer aspire
hello every1, this is my first time posting here as i couldnt find an answer to my question anywhere on the net. actualy there are many little questions instead of a big one. 1) i recently bough an acer aspire 5745g to replace my "old" sony vaio vgn-fw41e. now.. the acer has significantly...
troufas Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 18 01-04-2011 02:35 PM
Power Supply Information and Selection
:smile: CHOOSING AND UNDERSTANDING A POWER SUPPLY UNIT The power supply unit in today’s modern computer assumes a role probably more critical than any other single component in your system even when compared to the CPU and motherboard. Therefore, there are multiple factors that must...
Tumbleweed36 RAM and Power Supply Support 0 07-09-2006 03:41 PM