Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Acer Aspire 5332 - How to flash bios blind

This is a discussion on Acer Aspire 5332 - How to flash bios blind within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have a problem with an Acer 5332 running Win 7 Home Premium, when the power button is pressed

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I have a problem with an Acer 5332 running Win 7 Home Premium, when the power button is pressed it turns on then 3 seconds later turns off. It is not over heating. When I press Fn and ESC together and insert the power then press the power button the laptop stays on. I have tried creating bootable usb to no joy also cd. When the computer is activated with Fn and ESC it searches CD's when they are put in but does not seem to read off the USB. I feel it is an easy fix I just don't know the file name to rename the bios file to or am not setting up the CD or USB right.
I have spent alot of time on this and don't want to give in now! if some one knows what I am doing wrong it would be much appreciated.
Many thanks jase

Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

Hello jase0824 and welcome to TSF,

Could you provide us a little background on the issue?

Please tell me when and how the system got to it's current state. Try and recount all of the circumstances.

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hello,
Thanks for your reply the laptop was left on standby overnight then when it came to turning it on the next day it would not power on properly. I have striped it down to the motherboard and back up. The things I have tried are all from the forums. the computer screen does not boot to bios. The computer just turns on for 3-6 seconds then turns off again. I have tried all the things listed on acer forums to bring life back into this dead motherboard but no joy so far. when I press Ctrl or fn and esc together it stays on and reads the cd drive, the usb drive reads very briefly. I have tried copying the bios to cd and usb to no joy even renaming the file. I think that if i had the right name to name the file this would solve the problem but unlike for the acer 1 on with a U-tube video of how to do, there is just no info on this laptop yet on the forums for a blind flash. Hope you can help. Many thanks. Any more info you need just ask. it is definitely down to the motherboard.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Well, the least likely cause of your issue is the system BIOS.

Take a read through the linked thread. I realize you probably have done most of the steps, but just in case you missed something.

Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks very much for the link, I will go through it as soon as I get the time. I think I did most of the checks ie ram and cpu, but may have missed something so will be more detailed next time. I really want to get this up and running again and am prepared to do some soldering to replace chips, I have just purchased a heat blower and new solderer. so would love to do a bit of tech stuff myself for the satisfaction of bringing this laptop back to life. Thanks again and will let u know how it goes. The reason I think it could be the bios is because I have had the lcd not coming up before on a previous laptop and managed to get it running by first doing the power button 60 second reset, then the screen started to work but would go off again so I flashed the bios with a usb and it fixed the problem permanently. I feel that this could be a bios problem because it is similar to this just probably a more corrupt bios. thanks again any more help is much appreciated.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

From my personal experience, 99% of BIOS corruption and related issues are directly due to a bad or failed flash. Since you did not update or attempt to update your BIOS immediately prior to your failure leads me to believe this is most likely NOT a BIOS related issue.

More likely it is a failed component on the motherboard. The troubleshooting thread was written to help pinpoint the source of the issue. If none of the steps produces a positive change, the issue lies with the motherboard and/or integrated components.