Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Acer Aspire 3000 won't turn on

This is a discussion on Acer Aspire 3000 won't turn on within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an Acer Aspire 3000. This is my 2nd battery and 2nd power cord. If I shut down the

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

I have an Acer Aspire 3000. This is my 2nd battery and 2nd power cord. If I shut down the laptop, it will not turn back on. I have been keeping it on standby when I haave to bring it somewehere. Occasionally, it will just turn itself off and I cannot get it back on. After hours of pushing the power button, the thing will turn on. Sometimes the green light under the power button flickers but nothing happens. Every time I hit the power button and let go the battery light comes on but the power light does not. I constantly have to have the computer plugged into the wall or it will not stay on. It will not run with just the power cord and no battery. I have called every tech person I know and they all give me different answers. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Registered Member

With Acer's I've just been informed that you will need to FLASH the BIOS. It's a relatively simple process... Things you need:

1. Alternate Computer with Internet Access
2. Empty Flash Drive
3. Patience (haha)

unplug the Acer, take the battery out and do the 30 second hold...

Get on the other computer and go to Acer's website, find the BIOS download and save it to the desktop of the current computer. Plug your empty flash drive in and open it. Locate the folder for the Acer BIOS and find the DOS Flash Folder. Open it and rename the file inside from 3310.fd (example) to zg5ia32.fd and then copy it and the FLASH(IT).exe file to the empty flash drive. (I had to put the parenthesis in there cause it thought there was a bad word!! LOL)

Unplug the flash drive from the working computer and plug it into the non-working Acer laptop. Leave the battery out and plug in the AC Adapter. You will now press and hold the ESC and FN keys at the same time while turning on the computer. Continue holding the ESC and FN keys for about 5 seconds and then let go.

Here's where the patience comes in... it will look like nothing's happening... it may continue to look like nothing's happening for up to 7 minutes. The computer will restart once this process is complete, and your computer should work again!! If it doesn't I've been told you can try repeating the process a couple of times, but if it still doesn't work you may need to call Tech Support...

It worked for me and was wonnnnnnnnnnnnnderful!!!