Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Laptop Support

Acer 5520 Black Screen.

This is a discussion on Acer 5520 Black Screen. within the Laptop Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ive had my Acer for a few trouble free years but recently get a constant black screen. I've searched on

Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ive had my Acer for a few trouble free years but recently get a constant black screen. I've searched on here and read a load of threads but not exactly like mine. It's and Aspire 5520 running Vista Home Premium, it's well out of warranty.

My laptop powers up and I get nothing, no Acer splash screen, no windows etc. No backlight either.

Windows does startup though as I get the startup chime and I can shut it down using the keyboard.

I have tried removing the battery and starting, i've tried holding the power button for a minute with no battery+mains connected. I've checked for loose connections and dust and removed and have reseated my RAM.

I've shone a torch into the screen in a dark room and cant see anything.

I bought it into work today and put it on my desktop screen and it works perfectly through that. I then tried fn + F5 but only the one monitor is shown on the info bar, it seems that my laptop display doesnt exist any more. While I had it working, I updated my VGA driver from the acer site but it didn't help. Also tried fn + F6 but that didn't work.

I'm hoping that my integrated graphics are ok and hd, ram etc.

I'm guessing that my problem now lies with the screen itself, the inverter or the cable.

Am I correct in this?

If so, what order should I replace them? Cheapest first or is one more likely than the others?

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

Black Screen Issues and Troubleshooting

Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
I did have a quick look through that before I posted but didnt seem completely applicable to my symptoms.

I'll have another look, thanks for the link.

Just read through it again.

Would the fact that my laptop performs as normal on an external monitor mean that CPU, gpu, hdd etc is ok and that my problem is isolated to the screen?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Moderator - Networking

I would say that your problem is most likely screen related. Probably a issue with the inverter board or cable.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
Registered Member

Cheers mate, I've just ordered those very cheap so worth a gamble.

Will see how it goes.